“These pretty bars are speckled with tart cranberries, folded in a sweet coconut yellow cake batter, and sprinkled with a crunchy coconut topping– they taste even better than they look!”
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup shredded (unsweetened) coconut
- 1/2 cup shredded (unsweetened) coconut
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl beat honey, oil, butter, egg yolks, milk, and vanilla until yellow and frothy.
- Add salt, nutmeg, baking powder, cornstarch, and 1 cup flour to egg yolk mixture, stirring to combine.
- Fold in cranberries and coconut stirring gently to combine.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a thick batter.
- Pour batter in a greased, or parchment-paper lined 9 x 12 in baking pan.
- In a small bowl combine topping ingredients, and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375 F 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 15 min then cut into bars.
Yield: 20 bars
Store in airtight container for 2-3 days