“These light, airy scones are delicious for breakfast with fresh fruit.” ~Sarah
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy-seeds
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- In a medium bowl combine honey, lemon juice, zest, oil, eggs, salt, and baking soda. (The mixture should foam up as soon as you add the baking soda-this is normal)
- Add the poppyseeds and almonds, stir well.
- Add flour by 1/2 cups until you have soft dough.
- Spread dough on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets and using spoon, pat into round circle.
- Bake each round at 350 F 25-30 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow scones to cool for 5 minutes, then cut each round into eight equal pieces.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 16 scones
Note: You can store these in an airtight container for 2-3 days, but I find them best if eaten immediately.