“This comforting pie with the pleasant flavors of pumpkin and apples is topped off with a sweet, crunchy pecan topping, that makes it the perfect dessert for fall! ” ~Sarah
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup safflower oil
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups solid-pack canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups apple butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon each, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
PECAN STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- In a medium bowl combine oil and 3 cups flour, stir until smooth- Add remaining flour until you have a smooth ball of dough.
- Divide dough in half and pat each half in the bottom and sides of two pie dishes. – Add decorative edging if desired.
- In a large bowl combine all pie filling ingredients until smooth.
- Pour filling into prepared pie crusts and level with spoon.
- Bake pies at 350 F 60-75 minutes or until top begins to crack and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Pecan Streusel Topping:
- In a small bowl combine first three streusel ingredients, then add flour until pecans are coated.
- Divide topping in half and sprinkle each pie with topping.
- Bake at 350 F 10 minutes, or until topping is golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then serve.
Yield: 2 pies (8 servings each)
Store in refrigerator 2-3 days or in freezer 3-4 months.