“These sweet breakfast treats, sweet bread dough filled with a tart cranberry-walnut filling and drizzled with a sweet icing, are delicious warm from the oven!” ~Sarah
• 2 1/2 cups warm water
• 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 3/4 cup honey
• 3 eggs
• 3 teaspoons salt
• 1/3 cup gluten
• 6-8 cups whole wheat flour
• 2 cups dried cranberries
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/2 cup apple juice
• 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, stir in honey, eggs, salt and gluten, beating well after each addition.
2. Stir in 2 cups flour and beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
3. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 min.
4. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Allow to rise 45 min.
5. In a food processer, pulse cranberries and honey until finely grinded. Pour apple juice in while pulsing and pulse until mixture is a smooth paste. Set aside.
6. Punch dough down and roll out into a rectangle to 1/2 in thickness. Spread cranberry filling over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with nuts.
7. Roll dough tightly along the length side and pinch edges to seal. With a sharp knife cut the rolls every 2 in and place rolls face-down in two greased 9 x 13 in baking pan. Allow to rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Bake at 375 F 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
8. While rolls are baking prepare icing by heating milk, honey, and cornstarch, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside.
9. Cool rolls 5-10 minutes then just before serving, drizzle with icing.
Note: You can store these at room temperature un-iced up to 2 days, but after they are iced, it is best that they are served immediately.