“These light airy doughnuts are baked in a doughnut-hole pan rather than fried, making them way healthier for you. Feel free to use whatever jelly you want for the filling.” ~Sarah
• 3 large eggs
• 2/3 cup honey
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 1/3 cup safflower oil
• 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
•1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
• Jelly of your choice
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. For the donuts: In a medium bowl whisk eggs and honey until smooth. Add syrup, oil, extract, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
2. Stir in 1 cup flour and stir until smooth. Add remaining flour and stir until combined.
3. Fill doughnut-holes 1/4 full. Drop 2 teaspoons jelly on top and gently spread over dough. Top with about 1 tablespoon dough and spread over jelly. Bake doughnuts at 350 16-17 minutes.
4. While doughnuts are baking, prepare icing by heating milk, honey, and cornstarch, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside
5. Remove doughnuts from pan to cooling rack and allow to cool 5 minutes. Drizzle icing over doughnuts and serve immediately.
Yield: 21 doughnuts
Store un-iced doughnuts in airtight container up to 2 days. Serve immediately after icing.