“This creamy, fruity coffee cake has an almond-flavored crust, a sweet cream cheese filling, a juicy peach filling, and a crunchy almond topping. Delicious!” ~Sarah
• 3 cups whole-wheat flour
• 3/4 cup cold butter
• 3/4 cup honey
• 3/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/2 cup cream cheese
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey, divided
• 2 cups frozen sliced peaches
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. In a large bowl, toss flour and butter with a fork until slightly crumbly, add honey and continue tossing with fork until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup mixture and set aside.
2. Add remaining crust ingredients stirring until a slightly-sticky ball of dough forms. With oiled hands press dough into the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of a greased tube pan.
3. In a small bowl combine cream cheese and 1/4 cup honey until smooth. Evenly spread over crust.
4. In a medium pot combine 2 tablespoons honey, peaches, water and cornstarch. Simmer over medium-high heat until peaches are slightly softened and mixture is thick. Pour mixture evenly over cream-cheese filling. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over peaches and top with almonds.
5. Bake at 375 F 50-55 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes then remove sides from pan. Allow coffee cake to cool on wire rack 30-45 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Store in refrigerator up to 1 day.