“Pleasantly spiced gingerbread and crunchy nuts star in this stunning dessert, with a spiced whipped cream frosting and more nuts on top!” ~Sarah
• 2 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 cup honey
• 3/4 cup baking molasses
• 1/2 cup safflower oil
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup milk
Frosting and Filling:
• 2 cups sweetened whipped cream or this recipe: http://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2012/11/23/homemade-whipped-cream/
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl beat together remaining cake ingredients until smooth. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and gently stir until combined.
3. Divide batter between three 9-in round cake pans and gently level batter with spatula. Bake cakes at 350 F 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans 20 minutes. Then remove from pans to cooling racks and cool completely.
4. Combine whipped cream and cinnamon. Spread one-third whipped cream over one cake layer and sprinkle with 1/4 cup toasted pecans. Repeat with remaining layers, topping the top cake layer with remaining whipped cream and remaining pecans. Serve.
Yield: 12-15 servings.
Store in refrigerator 1-2 days.