“Soft and moist, with the pleasant taste of apples, cinnamon, and pecans–these doughnuts are a wonderful breakfast treat!” ~Sarah
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
• 1/2 cup honey
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1. In small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle topping evenly in greased doughnut hole pans. Set aside.
2. Prepare the doughnut batter by whisking applesauce, apple juice, honey, eggs, vanilla, butter, cinnamon, and salt until smooth. Stir in baking powder and flour, and stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Drop batter evenly over pecan topping in doughnut hole pan. Bake at 350 F 15-18 minutes until golden. Allow to cool in pan 5 minutes then invert doughnuts, pecan side up onto cooling rack. Serve warm.
Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.