” Flaky pie pastry with a not-too sweet cherry filling and icing drizzled over top. A little effort but well worth it! Make the cherry filling and the pastry dough the night before to eliminate prep in the morning.” ~Sarah
• 4 cups frozen cherries
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1 cup (8 oz) cream cheese
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 eggs
• 4 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1/3-1/2 cup ice water
• 1 batch Honey Icing (Link below)
1. For the filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate 7 hours or overnight.
2. For the dough: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and salt until smooth. Whisk in eggs. Add flour until mixture is crumbly. Add enough ice water to form a ball of dough. Refrigerate dough 1 hour or overnight.
3. Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/2 in thickness. Cut out dough with a medium biscuit cutter. Place 1 tablespoon cherry filling on half of each dough circle. Fold half of dough over cherry filling. Pinch edges to seal and crimp with a fork. Place turnovers on parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Bake at 375 F 20-25 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire cooling racks. Ice with Honey Icing and serve. http://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2013/01/11/honey-icing/
Yield: 20 turnovers.
Store un-iced turnovers in refrigerator 1-2 days. Serve immediately after icing.