“This cake should seriously have a warning label on it. It is that amazingly fudgy, scrumptious, and addicting.” ~Sarah
• 3/4 cup butter
• 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup honey
• 3 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour, sifted
• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
Chocolate Mousse Frosting:
• 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks.
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. For the cake base: Melt butter in a medium pot. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Add salt, honey, eggs, and vanilla, whisking after each addition. Sprinkle flour over top and gently whisk to combine. Fold in chocolate chunks.
2. Spread batter in a foil-lined 13 x 9 in baking pan. Bake at 350 F 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out with moist crumbs. (Do not overbake or it won’t be fudgy) Cool pan completely on a wire cooling rack.
3. While cake is cooling prepare the frosting: In a small saucepan, simmer chocolate chips, water and butter over medium-low heat until smooth and chocolate is melted. Cool to room temperature. Fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream.
4. Assemble the cake: Spread frosting over cooled cake. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with toasted pecans just before serving. Try not to consume the cake all by yourself. It is very hard to resist not eating the entire cake by yourself. 🙂
Yield: 12 servings.