“This pie looks complicated but it’s actually quite easy! It’s crispy graham crumb crust with a silky chocolate filling and mounded with whipped cream makes it a real winner! This recipe makes two pies but don’t bother cutting the recipe in half to make only one pie–Judging from the way my siblings demolished it, I think you would just find yourself having to make another one!” ~Sarah
Graham Crumb Crust:
• 1-1/2 cups sugar-free graham cracker crumbs
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 2-3 tablespoons water
• 1/3 cup butter, melted
• 1-1/2 cups milk
• 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
• 4 tablespoons cornstarch
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 cup honey
• 2 eggs
• 6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
Vanilla Whipped Cream Topping
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Make the graham crumb crust: In a food processor, pulse graham cracker crumbs and butter. Add 1-2 tablespoons water until fine crumbs form. Press into the bottom and up the sides of two greased 9-in pie pans. Bake at 350 F 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
2. Make the chocolate filling: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in milk and cream and simmer over medium heat until steaming. Reduce heat to low and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch, water, honey, and eggs until combined. Stir a small amount of warm cream mixture into egg mixture, and add all to remaining cream mixture. Stir over medium-high heat until bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in chopped chocolate, vanilla, and salt. Continue whisking until chocolate is melted. Cool 10 minutes, then divide pudding between cooled graham crusts. Chill 6-7 hours or overnight.
3. Make the topping: With an electric beater, beat cream until soft peaks form, add syrup and vanilla, continue beating until stiff peaks form. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
4. Assemble pies: Remove chilled pies from freezer and top each pie with Vanilla Whipped Cream Topping. Slice and serve!
Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each)
Store pies in refrigerator up to 2 days. Use immediately after topping with whipped cream.