“I seriously needed something sinfully delicious, and comforting this morning. I’ve just been really depressed and anxious about a lot things lately. Anywho, these rolls definitely did the trick. Light and fluffy sweet bread dough makes up the base, with a not-too-sweet raspberry filling, and lightly sweetened vanilla icing to top it all off. Guaranteed to cure any blues. 😉 ” ~Sarah
• 1 cup warm milk (120-130 F)
• 1-1/2 tablespoons active, dry yeast
• 1/2 cup safflower oil
• 1/3 cup honey
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 to 4-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
• 12 oz frozen unsweetened raspberries (unthawed)
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Recipe Honey Icing, prepared according to recipe instructions.
1. Dissolve yeast in warm milk in a large bowl. Stir in oil, honey, and eggs until combined. Add salt and enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
2. Punch risen dough down. and place on a floured surface. Roll out to 1/2 in thickness into a rectangle. In a small bowl combine filling ingredients. Sprinkle over rectangle within 1 in of edges. Roll dough up on the long side. Pinch ends to seal and cut into slices every 3 inches. Place filling side-up in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Allow to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400 F 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Drizzle icing over rolls and serve.
Yield: 10 rolls.
These are best if used the day they are made.
Slightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.