“Celebrate Memorial Day in style with these fun cupcakes that come together easily with a vanilla-flavored cupcake that is topped with a homemade vanilla pudding frosting and your choice of fresh fruit.
I made these for Mother’s Day and my whole family raved over them. My nephew even managed to snatch two. 😉 He’s adorable the way he compliments my desserts. He made me promise to make him Vanilla Tapioca Pudding the next time he comes to visit. Anyway, these pretty cupcakes are sure to win raves and what better way to celebrate Memorial Day? Memorial Day means a lot more to me now that my brother is a US Marine. To me, Memorial Day used to be just a fun day with parades and grilling; but it’s so much more now that I understand how much our veterans really gave us and the fact that my brother is one of the many brave people defending our freedom. Thank you to the veterans who paid for our freedom with their lives.”~Sarah
- • 2-2/3 cups whole-wheat flour
- • 1 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1 cup butter, softened
- • 3/4 cup honey
- • 4 eggs
- • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- • 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- • 1/4 cup butter
- • 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- • 1/2 cup milk
- • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- • 1 tablespoon water
- • 1 medium egg
- • 1/4 cup honey
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (1 tablespoon)
- • 2 tablespoons water
- • Assorted fresh fruit
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with muffin liners.
- 2. Prepare the cupcakes: In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, beat remaining cake ingredients until smooth. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full of batter. Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- 3. Prepare the frosting: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup cream and milk. Heat over medium heat until simmering. Reduce heat to low. In a small bowl, beat cornstarch, water, egg, and honey until combined. Remove a small amount of hot milk mixture and beat into egg mixture. Add all to remaining milk mixture. Stir over medium heat until bubbly and thickened. Stir in vanilla and cool completely. With an electric beat, beat remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled vanilla pudding. Soften gelatin in water and add to frosting. Refrigerate frosting until it reaches spreading consistency, about 1 hour.
- 4. Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes. Arrange with fresh fruit and serve immediately.
- Yield: 2 dozen.
- These cupcakes are best if used on the day they are made. Store in refrigerator until using.