You can thank one of my awesome BFF’s, Caleah for this one.
We were chatting about food and cooking the other day, (Something we both love!) And I mentioned to her that I was planning on making Cranberry Walnut Scones for Mother’s Day. She said she that sounded delish, but had I ever made coconut chocolate chip scones before? Somehow, that just sounded so good to me! Well, today I finally got around to trying it and I am pleased to say that they turned out just as good as I had hoped they would! Gooey chocolate chips, crisp coconut, and a hint of orange and cinnamon, made them purrrfect. 🙂
Yum. And they’re so easy! Only took me 30 minutes! Of course, I had the world’s best little kitchen helper helping me make these! AKA, my two-year old sister, Rachel of course!
Anyway, thanks, Calz! Oh yeah, and if you need a good book to read while you’re munching on these heavenly scones, pop over to her blog, http://mykrasithoughts.blogspot.com/. She does awesome book reviews on really exciting books!
Coconut Chip Scones
- • 3-1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- • 1 tablespoon baking powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- • 1/2 cup butter softened
- • 2 large eggs
- • 1/3 cup honey
- • 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- • 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- • 1 cup milk
1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and orange zest in a large bowl. Add butter, eggs, and honey. Stir until crumbly. Fold in coconut and chocolate chips. Add milk and stir until just moistened.
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Divide dough in half and gently knead 1 half two times. Pat into a 6-in round and with a sharp knife, score into 8 wedges.
Repeat with remaining half. Place wedges two inches apart on two parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Bake at 400 F 13 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire cooling rack 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 16 scones.
Store scones in an airtight container up to 2 days.