So, what are your plans for the Father’s Day weekend?
We are having a double-celebration: Father’s Day tomorrow, and my little brother, Isaiah’s 7th birthday today. (He requested me to make him a chocolate fudge layer cake–A boy after my own heart!) Then on Father’s Day I’ll probably cook a nice dinner and if the weather is nice we’ll eat outside. We’ll give Dad his cards and gifts and then we’ll probably attack the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake I’ll be making for Dad. One of his favorites and mine! (Stay tuned for the recipe!)
But anyway, let’s talk about these crepes, shall we?
I love crepes, I really do. They’re so easy to prepare and they taste amazing with a creamy filling and usually a fresh fruit topping. This version combines strawberries with bananas which is a pretty tasty combo, if I do say so myself!
The crepes are just your basic crepe recipe. Flour. Eggs. Milk. A little sweetener. And a pinch of cinnamon. Then just blend the ingredients in your blender and voila! Crepes in less than five minutes. You are gonna have to chill the batter for 30 minutes–This prevents sticking when you’re cooking them.
But while the batter is chilling, you can prepare the filling and the topping. The filling is just a simple whipped cream/yogurt combination. And the topping is simply just strawberries, bananas, and a little bit of lemon juice to keep the fruit from turning brown.
Once the batter is chilled, you can go ahead and make your crepes. I used a griddle, but you can also cook them on the stove in a frying pan. Once your crepes are done, fill ’em, top ’em, grab a fork and dig in!
Strawberry-Banana Cream Crepes
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz. 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 large ripe bananas sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. For the crepes: In a blender, blend all crepe ingredients on medium speed until smooth. Refrigerate batter 30 minutes.
2. While batter is chilling, combine filling ingredients in a small bowl. Store in fridge until ready to use.
3. For the topping: Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl. Store in fridge until ready to use.
4. Once the crepe batter is chilled, grease a griddle. Pour about 1/3 cup batter on hot griddle and tilt griddle to spread batter into a circle. Cook until top appears dry, about 30 seconds. Turn and repeat with other side. Remove from griddle to a cooling rack and repeat with remaining batter.
5. Assemble the crepes: Spread about 2 tablespoons filling to within 1/2-in of edges of crepes. Roll up crepes and place on a serving plate. Top with desired amount of topping. Serve immediately after assembling.
Yield: 7 servings (2 crepes per person)
Store un-filled crepes, filling, and topping in refrigerator up to 1-2 days.
Adapted from Taste of Home
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!