You might guess from all my blueberry recipes, that I am a bit obsessed with blueberries.
Blueberries are amazing. Case closed.
My mother must love me an awful lot. She brought home 10 pounds of fresh blueberries the other day.
I’ve been eating them plain is how good they are 😀
Remember my Soft Raspberry Sweet Rolls a few months back? These rolls are similar to them except I used the most amazing berry in the world and I lightened them up just enough to make you feel no guilt at all after your third roll 😉
They’re seriously that good that you will want to have three.
I haven’t been baking that much since my summer intensive began. Missing it? ‘Heck yes! Plus I got some gorgeous new serving platters and plates that I have been dying to try out in my photoshoots.
They made these rolls look 10x more delish.
These rolls have completely stolen my heart. Blueberries + Sweet Rolls = Genius 🙂
Let’s talk about the dough for the rolls: It really is just a simple sweet bread dough, with simple yeast bread ingredients.
I usually use oil in nearly all my bread recipes, but this time, I wondered if just a few tablespoons of butter would contribute to the softness I desired.
Bingo. Butter is the key these rolls softness.
I also usually only throw in one egg. But I wanted a high, fluffy sweet roll that would melt in my mouth with it’s fluffiness.
Two eggs did the trick and I had my rolls sky-high.
The rest of the ingredients are pretty basic: Water. Yeast. Milk. Honey. Salt. Flour.
So easy I could make it in my sleep.
The filling is even easier. Three ingredients! Blueberries. Coconut Sugar. Cornstarch.
Icing? Gotcha covered! (no pun intended) My go-to Honey Icing added the final touch of perfection to these rolls.
I definitely did not make enough of these. In less than one hour every one of the nine rolls were reduced to crumbs. It was extremely hard taking pictures, since I had hungry vultures (aka kids) trying to eat my props!
One could hardly blame them. These rolls were to die for. The rolls were soft and fluffy, the blueberries were sweet and juicy, and the icing was thick and gooey!
You think I waited for the rolls to cool? Ha! Don’t make me laugh. The second I pulled them out of the oven, I topped them with a
thick layer of icing and then dove right in with both hands.
Don’t judge me. I guarantee you will be doing the same thing.
Fluffy Blueberry-Swirl Rolls
- 1 pkg 1/4 oz active dry yeast (2-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water 120 F
- 1/4 cup warm milk 120 F
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 batch Honey Icing prepared according to recipe instructions
For The Rolls Dough
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water and milk. Add honey, butter, and eggs, mixing well until smooth. Add salt and flour. Stir until mixture forms a soft dough.
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
For The Filling
1. Gently toss all filling ingredients in a small bowl until blueberries are coated. Set aside.
Assemble The Rolls
1. Heat oven to 375 F and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
2. Punch dough down, and roll into a 12 x 10 inch rectangle on a floured surface. Sprinkle blueberry filling down the middle. Starting at the long side, roll up dough rectangle. Seal edges and cut dough into 2-in wide pieces. Place rolls filling-side-up in prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven 28-30 minutes, or until lightly golden. Ice rolls with prepared icing immediately after removing from oven. Serve warm.
Yield: 9 rolls.
Use rolls immediately after icing. Un-iced rolls can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 days.