I’ve mentioned before how much I adore streusel, haven’t I?
And I know that YOU know how much I love blueberries.
Combine those two….In a bar.
Have you ever seen those so-called blueberry streusel bars that have that tasteless, dry crust; the gray blueberry filling; and the soggy streusel topping?
I have. Wayy too many times.
Make way for the blueberry streusel bar that has a sweet chewy crust; a juicy blueberry filling; and a crunchy streusel topping.
Say goodbye forever to those sorry excuses of a blueberry bar. Today, I bring you THE best blueberry bar of all time.
Did I mention that it’s LOW–FAT? NO butter–Only 1/4 cup oil and 1 egg– 1/2 cup plain yogurt makes up for any extra oil or eggs needed.
The crust is pretty much your basic shortbread crust. Usual ingredients like flour, honey, an egg, ect.. For this particular crust I decided to add 1 teaspoon baking powder just because I wanted my crust to have a nice, chewy texture.
I learned a very important trick to making the crust, well..perfect. After I had tossed all the crust ingredients with a fork, I transferred the dough over to my handy food processor and pulsed it twice, just enough to form pea-sized crumbs. It’s very important that you pulse the crust only two times, otherwise the crumbs will become miniscule and won’t work properly. Just two pulses in the food processor will give you a chewy crust AND a crunchy streusel topping.
From there you’ll divide the crumbs in half and set one half aside for the streusel topping. The other half is all ready to be pressed into your (greased!) baking pan.
Now you’re going to make your blueberry filling which is definitely the easiest part! Three ingredients: Frozen Blueberries, Coconut sugar, Cornstarch. Combine ’em all and sprinkle over the crust. Top evenly with the reserved streusel topping and pop ’em in the oven for 45 minutes.
It’s important that you let your bars cool completely before cutting. They’ll basically fall apart if you try to cut and remove them from the pan too soon.
Resist the urge to eat ’em all the moment they come out of the oven.
One could never guess that these bars are low-fat. Good thing too, because they are downright addicting.
They travel extremely well too! Perfect for any potluck or summer-get-together.
Can you believe that we’re in the middle of August already? Time to make the most of summery desserts, while you still can!
- 4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 cups frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add remaining ingredients, tossing with a fork until crumbly. Transfer to a food processor and pulse twice to form pea-sized crumbs.
- 2. Divide crumbs in half. Press one half into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- 1. Combine all filling ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle filling over crust.
- Top blueberry filling evenly with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350 F 45 minutes, or until top is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire cooling rack at least 1 hour before cutting into bars.
- Yield: 12 bars.
- Store bars in refrigerator up to 3 days.