Banana bread-lovers will adore this super-moist banana bread loaf, that’s full of toasty nuts, and lots of banana flavor! This truly is the “perfect” banana bread.
Banana bread is the bees knees in this household. And pretty much the primo uno choice on my breakfast menu.
You have no idea how excited I get when I see huge bags of overripe bananas in the clearance section at Woodmans for 99¢ a bag. Automatically my first thoughts are: “banana bread, baaaaby!”
Then I buy pretty much every bag. And then I come home and spend all day baking loaf after loaf banana bread for the freezer.
Then I eat banana bread for breakfast pretty much every morning.
You’re worth it.
I couldn’t even tell you how many requests I get from people for a simple, no-brainer, but absolutely perfect banana bread recipe.
It’s been on my to-do list for awhile to share a simple, classic banana bread…..soo..
Mission accomplished. 😉
Let’s go over the components to a perfect banana bread, shall we?
The epitome of softness? √
Lots of banana flavor? √ √
One of my pet peeves about banana bread is a lack of actual banana flavor. A lot of banana bread recipes I came across called for one, or maybe two bananas and to me, that’s just not enough bananas in something called BANANA bread.
I packed 4 large SUPER-ripe bananas in this bread, and trust me, you can definitely tell they’re there.
So, how ’bout a banana bread that actually tastes like bananas? 😀
Several top-notch ingredients contribute a TON of moistness to this bread: Obviously the mashed bananas themselves provide a ton, and we’ve also got softened butter, buttermilk, and just 2 eggs.
All this = Moistest, softest-EVER banana bread.
I like to throw nuts in my batter, but if you dislike nuts in your banana bread for any reason (you’re weird) feel free to leave them out.
I, myself could never imagine a piece of banana bread without tons of nuts. NECESSARY.
You know what my FAV part about this basic banana bread is? It’s a blank canvas for SO many banana bread variations.
Here are my TOP favorite banana bread twists that you can easily throw into this basic recipe:
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Nutella swirled in the batter
- Berry banana bread (i.e blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, ect)
- Streusel topping
- Cream cheese glaze
- Melted chocolate drizzled over top
Each lovely bite of this banana bread is rich, melt-in-your-mouth soft, and screams BANANAS. The smell of it baking, alone is intoxicating.
The bees knees, you guys. The bees knees. 😀
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 9-in loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in eggs, mashed banana, buttermilk, and vanilla until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add dry mixture to liquid, gently stirring until just combined. Fold in chopped nuts.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared pans and smooth tops. Bake banana bread at 350F 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool bread in pans on a wire cooling rack 1 hour before removing from pans.
Check out my other quick breakfasts next!