These easy quinoa bowls are loaded with SO much flavor and you won’t believe how quickly they come together! The honey mustard chicken pairs perfectly with fluffy quinoa and a sweet tropical salsa.
Some days you just need a quinoa bowl loaded with all the chicken, all the tropical goodness, and ALL the comfort.
This is one of those days. Pass me a bowl along with a king-sized cup of coffee.
At breakfast time you may be thinking? Yes and yes.
To all of you who tried going on my blog yesterday or the day before, let me just say I am profusely sorry for all the glitchy stuff that’s been going on. I am in the process of transferring all my content over to a different hosting company, and this is proving to be more of a headache than I originally thought it would be.
Read: I’m kind of freaking out as I almost always do when there’s something even a little bit off with my blog. Perfectionist problems.
So let me ask you: Is everything looking normal around here now? PLEASE TELL ME IT IS. And if it isn’t…..well, you can tell me, but you should also be prepared to give me coffee too.
Yesterday and Tuesday were otherwise known as “coping days.” My mom complained that I used up the last of her coffee, and I told her it was for a very good cause, but I don’t think she believed me…
So here we are at Thursday already…time flies when you’re having fun.
Wait. No, that’s untrue. Time crawls when you’re dealing with techy problems and a blog that’s up and down for 2 days. It CRAWLS.
So. Enough about my sucky week. How is yours so far? Even if yours is going suck-ily too, I guarantee it’s about to turn around in the right direction.
Mine is already moving upward partly because Once Upon A Time started up again last Sunday and I still have yet to catch the episode and Grey’s Anatomy is on TONIGHT. I have a date with the couch, Netflix and these cookies, my friends. For real.
BUT. Your week for the most part is about to be made because….wait for it…
I made us all quinoa bowls! Loaded with all the comfort. Jam-packed with all the bad week-crushing yum.
And uh, honey-mustard chicken. And mango. And citrus. And more mango and even more citrus.
And swoooooooon…Sarah’s down for the count.
These bowls are really just the bombity-bomb.com, my lovelies. There’s really just SO much awesomeness going on, you’re not even going to know where to start digging in.
But might I suggest the chicken first? It’s.the.best.best.BEST. Moist, sticky, and jam-packed with HUGE punches of honey-mustard flavors that really shine through and pair perfectly with the sweet ‘n’ spicy fresh tropical salsa and fluffy quinoa.
And P.S. I’m crushing big-time on quinoa now, guys. Can’tstopwon’tstop.
Speaking of crushing….
….The salsa. PUH-LEEZE do not skip or even skimp on this tropical goodness! It’s super-fresh, loaded with just the right amount of sweet ‘n’ heat, literally only takes 5 minutes to throw together and really ties all the flavors together and makes these bowls all that they are.
What are they? Thursday-night dinner perfection, if you ask me.
All the best comforts in one bowl? Check. It’s been a long week.
To tell you the truth, this stuff right here is the most exciting thing that’s happened to me ALL week. And I am not ashamed.
On the count of three we shall all do faceplants into our respective bowls of tropical-loaded quinoa chicken goodness. One…..THREE!
- HONEY-MUSTARD CHICKEN:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeno, deseeded and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado for serving
- Prepare the chicken: In a small bowl, whisk oil, mustard, honey, vinegar, and seasonings until smooth. Place diced chicken in a large bowl and pour mixture over top. Refrigerate chicken 30 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dump chicken mixture into skillet and saute 7-10 minutes until chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Prepare the quinoa: In a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring broth to a boil then stir in quinoa. Reduce heat to low, cover and let quinoa simmer until cooked and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Prepare the salsa: In a small bowl, combine all salsa ingredients until combined.
- Prepare the quinoa bowls: Divide warm chicken, quinoa, and salsa between 4 servings bowls and top bowls with sliced avocado if desired. Serve immediately.
I’m ready for Friday tomorrow. How ‘bout you?