Swirled with a citrus-y orange-cinnamon sugar filling and drizzled with tons of cream cheese icing, these bright, cheerful cinnamon rolls are ideal for any spring brunch!
Well, it happened. I finally found a cinnamon roll so honkin’ huge and wonderful, I met my match.
A worthy opponent, but never too big to take down Sarah the Cinnamon Roll Hulk.
I’m crushing here. Totally crushing on all this wonderful, carb-loaded goodness that’s all up in your face right now.
And kinda wishing it was legitly in MY face right now, but nope that’s not happening today. I’m currently in the car on my way up to Chicago to hop on a plane to Orlando this afternoon.
WHY was I such a nice person to leave all these cinnamon rolls behind for my family to devour?! I should have snuck like 10 in my suitcase…
The unreal smell of them probably would have gotten me stopped in security for sure, so I guess maybe it’s for the best.
Oh, and p.s. It feels super-weird to me writing this post so far ahead. (right now I’m really writing this on Tuesday) And I have literally tons more posts scheduled to go up in the next few weeks so I can concentrate on partying it up with the palm trees in Florida.
So I’m not leaving you entirely. I’ll still be around to reply to comments and blow up your Instagram feed. Don’t you worry. 😉
And now it is cinnamon roll time. Prepare those tastebuds and those fat pants. These babies mean BUSINESS.
My gosh, guys. I don’t even have the words for the level of perfection these fabulous cinnamon rolls hold. They are so soft and buttery. Exploding with the orange and cinnamon sugary flavors. Literally drowning in 8 inches of cream cheese icing.
Yes, I think I will take those fat pants now…
All the bright and cheery orange goodness we’ve got going on here definitely makes these rolls worthy for any spring fling you’re planning. I’m thinking breakfast, brunch, mid-afternoon snack, after-dinner snack, and/or midnight snack are all worthy times to break out these cinnamon rolls.
Let’s be honest here: Anytime is cinnamon roll time. Can I get a AMEN?
Amen times 10.
If you still have yet to get on board with the whole overnight-cinnamon rolls craze that’s sweeping across the web, trust me: You MUST! It is absolutely as awesome as it’s cracked up to be: Tonight’s few-minutes-of-prep-work equals tomorrow’s Saturday-morning chow-down.
And I do mean chow-down. The smell of these babies baking is going to bring the whole neighborhood to your door.
First off, the dough for these cinnamon rolls. It’s seriously SO easy to whip up and a breeze to work with. Hey, all you beginning yeast bread-makers! This recipe is for you. 🙂
The filling. GAH! Can we break for a few seconds so I can go scream into my pillow how much I’m crushing on this filling? All the beautiful butter, cinnamon sugary-goodness and luscious orange marmalade is swirled into these rolls and I am officially about to die from the nomz factors.
My favorite part? No additional rise-time necessary after removing these cinnamon rolls from the fridge the next day! Just pop that pan in the oven and let the magic happen while you put on that pot of coffee.
Actually, while they bake we’ve got just a LITTLE more magic to spin. And that’s called icing. Obviously the most important part about any good cinnamon roll.
Sweet ‘n’ tangy from the cream cheese and slightly citrus-y from a splash of fresh orange juice, this icing is finger-in-the-bowl kinda dreamy. So gooooooood!
And now….we drizzle.
Okay, let’s be accurate here: We dump.
And then we devour.
These are good. Like really good. And my brain really cannot even formulate any more words to tell you how much you’re going to love these.
- 1 pkg active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm milk (120F)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered xylitol (or powdered sugar)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Prepare the dough: In the bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand for 5 minutes until foamy, then whisk in honey, oil, beaten eggs, and salt. With mixer running on medium-speed, add 4-1/2 cups flour until dough pulls away from sides (if dough seems too sticky, add 1 tablespoon additional flour at a time until dough is the right consistency)
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl in plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1-1/2 to 2 hours until doubled.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface. Roll out into a 15x7 rectangle and spread with softened butter. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon and gently pat to within 1/2-in of edges over softened butter. Spread marmalade over sugar.
- Tightly roll up dough along the length side and pinch edges to seal. Cut into 1-in rolls and place swirl side-up in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and let rolls chill in refrigeator overnight.
- Remove rolls from refrigerator and preheat oven to 375F. Bake rolls 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on a wire cooling rack while you prepare the icing.
- Place softened cream cheese and sugar in small bowl. With an electric mixer, beat on low speed until cream. Beat in orange juice, vanilla, and just enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency.
- Gently drizzle cream cheese icing over warm rolls and let stand 5 minutes. Enjoy warm!
Say yes to the orange-stuffed cinnamon roll. 🙂