This dark chocolate-loaded zucchini bread is so moist, soft, and perfectly-spiced you would never guess that it’s on the healthier side.—You’ll want to stock up the freezer with this one!
Guys, guys, GUYS! Zucchini!! It’s coming out of my ears!
Okay, it’s actually coming out of my garden. By the tons. My counter is currently full of all the green.
Yesterday’s harvest. The garden literally exploded after one day straight of rain. Have you ever seen a prettier sight??
Hint: Not my feet. The zucchini I mean. I seriously need a pedicure in case you couldn’t tell. Ew.
I’m pretty sure you can guess the sole reason I look forward to zucchini season. The bread. Zucchini bread for daaaaaaaays.
These muffins coming in super-close second. Heeeeeeeelp! Things have quickly gotten addictive and slightly green-outta-control around here.
Addicted to green stuff = wiiiiiinning.
So this zucchini bread. Just living proof that the zucchini baking clearly got out of control around here.
I mean, look → →
Actually, don’t just look. Eat.
Eat, eat, EAT!
We’ve clearly got ALL the dark chocolate love going on. The bread itself is sooooooo (I know you love this word) MOIST. Moist, moist, moist. So perfectly spiced (and I’ve got a super-secret formula for that–mwhaha)
So perfectly awesome down to every.last.crumb.
I’m not gonna spend a lot of time telling you the nitty-gritty deets of the process of making this bread, (sorry fellow-nerds) because YO, it’s the weekend and we’ve got things to do.
Actually, the only thing on my to-do list for this weekend is more zucchini bread. PRIORITIES.
I will say this though: Completely by accident I stumbled upon the key to a KILLER spiced zucchini bread. It’s called pumpkin pie spice. This actually happened totally by accident, because I was out of cinnamon when I was testing recipes for this zucchini bread. The only other spice that could really use was pumpkin pie spice leftover from last fall.
Into the batter it went. POW went Sarah’s tastebuds. Never again will I make zucchini bread without it!!
That combined with a whopping tablespoon of vanilla extract and a hearty amount of dark chocolate and what do we have? The best friend you could ever ask of a zucchini bread.
BONUS POINTS: This bread freezes unbelievably well. Stock that freezer with all the loaves!!!
Seriously. This bread will blow your mind in the grooviest way.
And healthy. This girl is going, going, GONE.
I’m just gonna spend my entire weekend with this zucchini bread, okay byeee!
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 cups coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 9x5 loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate large bowl, beat sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and shredded zucchini until smooth.
- Gently fold flour mixture into liquid mixture until no streaks of flour remain. Fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake zucchini bread at 350F 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool bread in pan 1 hour before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!!
More ways to use up all that zucchini?? You knoooow it. 😉