These super-soft zucchini muffins are exploding with banana flavor and covered every inch in an irresistible cream cheese glaze.—no one will ever guess they’re healthy!
Hello, zucchini-lovers. Welcome back to Sarah’s Zucchini Bender.
A legit bender, guys. My family doesn’t even have to ask “is there zucchini in that?” anymore. They just know.
And they surprisingly don’t even mind it. Mostly because I’ve been disguising it with chocolate and/or frosting. The one and ONLY way to a zucchini-hater’s heart. Take note. 😀
Okay, so I’m here to set the record straight once and for all eternity about zucchini.
All that bad rap that zucchini gets for being a so-called watered-down, flavorless veggie? All of it is LIES. Made up by soul-less zucchini-haters who just do not understand the awesomeness like you and I.
I mean, I obviously have the real proof right here in front of your face today…
Also….more, more, and MORE coming soon. Because my garden is still in zucchini OVERLOAD-mode.
Oh, summer how I ♥ thee.
Today’s muffins are adapted from this belooooooooved zucchini bread that did I mention I love so freaking much?? If you’ve tried that recipe yet, then you just KNOW what kind of heaven you’re in for today.
It’s a special kind of zucchini bread heaven which, by the way friends, is a whooole ‘nother part of heaven itself, (true story!) PLUS bananas and cream cheese glaze thrown into the party.
And I mean….uhhh a LOT of glaze. Seriously the ratio of muffin to icing is about 1:2. My idea of a perfect world. YES.
Ultra-soft. Perfectly spiced. Covered with liquid gold otherwise known as glaze. Lighter on the calories and BIGGER on the yum.
GAH. This goodness though. It might just be the best part thus far of my slightly-ridiculous zucchini bender.
Really though, when you throw zucchini bread into adorbs muffin form with banana goodness, finger lickin’ glaze and nary an overload of calories how could you NOT win at life??
Eat these. All of these. Don’t wait for tomorrow because seriously, there is NO tomorrow as far as these muffins are concerned.
If you need me, I’ll be in the kitchen making and inhaling more healthy zucchini muffins.
And not sharing. Bye.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- CREAM CHEESE GLAZE:
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Make the muffins: Preheat oven to 425F and lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. In a separate bowl, whisk mashed banana, sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Gently fold flour mixture and shredded zucchini into liquid, stirring until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups to brim with batter and smooth tops. Bake muffins at 425F 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and continue baking 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: Place cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl. With a handheld electric mixer, beat on medium speed until creamy. Beat in just enough milk to make a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle cream cheese glaze over cooled muffins and enjoy immediately!
Overloaded with zucchini? You are in the right place. ♥