You’d never guess that these ultra-light and flaky buttermilk biscuits are loaded up with shredded zucchini! Paired with nutty Parmesan cheese and an unmistakable buttery flavor, even zucchini-haters will declare these a keeper!
Somebody tell my 5 still steadily-overflowing zucchini plants that.
And that right there is my sole excuse to make and eat these biscuits every.dang.day for the remainder of summer. Don’t even tell me otherwise because I definitely don’t look good talking with my mouth full of biscuits.
Really, I don’t. Some people can pull off talking with their mouth full, but I can’t handle it. It bugs me in a VERY big way and I may do certain people bodily harm if they dare try to converse with me while they’re crunching their potato chips and such.
And by bodily harm, I probably mean throwing food at them. I OWN food fights, guys.
I feel as though at this point I should probably stop spilling all my deep, dark secrets to you. I’m workin’ on that mature, gotta-grow-up-someday thing that nearly all 18-year olds go through.
Getting back to the topic of biscuits. BISCUITS, guys! Summer-style because we still haven’t gone there yet in the biscuit department.
Granted, we’ve gone pretty much everywhere else in that category, but still….there’s always room to be made in my belly for MORE biscuits.
Today, we’re talking lighter biscuits loaded up with all the cheese and all the green stuff. Really, what HAVEN’T I loaded all the green stuff into these days?
The truth: nothing. Eek.
And yeah, I DID stick cheese and “lighter” in the same sentence up there. The zucchini and cheese totally balance each other out in these biscuits, so I’m just gonna put the word HEALTHY out there.
As if that would stop you from eating all of these. Hahaaa.
Today’s biscuits are, of course, based off of the original recipe that I’ve probably made about 5,000 times. I explain all the ins-and-outs to what makes a perfect biscuit in this post, so hop on over there if you want the nitty-gritty deets!
All you need to know about this biscuit insanity, is that hooooly guacamole guys, they are GOOD. Supremely-buttery. The zucchini lends an extra boost of moistness and flakiness. And the parmesan cheese just ties all the flavors together in a pretty little biscuit package that you will not be able to resist chowing down on.
It’s time to get your summer biscuit on for real, friends. ♥
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed into 1/2-in pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- Melted butter for brushing, optional
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter, zucchini, and cheese into dry mixture with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Pour buttermilk over top and gently stir until biscuit dough just comes together.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and very gently knead several times until dough is smooth and cohesive. Pat dough out to 1-in thickness and cut out biscuits using a 3-in biscuit cutter. Place biscuits upside-down on prepared baking sheet. (this allows the biscuits to rise higher)
- Bake biscuits at 450F 14-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden-brown. Remove from oven and brush biscuits with melted butter if desired. Serve biscuits warm!