This silky classic Thanksgiving pumpkin pie recipe has been in my family for years and is the easiest and absolute BEST pumpkin pie you’ll ever have. Everyone will want seconds!
So I’m totally contradicting everything I said on Tuesday.
And if you’ll recall: That was that one conversation we had about mini pies being IN and big pies having to take a backseat for like…forever.
Forever meaning three days. Up until that one classic Thanksgiving pumpkin pie rolled into town and claimed my heart. ♥
What can I say? Sometimes a gal wants a mini streusel-covered pumpkin pie, but other times, THIS gal just craves a big ‘ol slice of the real thing.
If you’ve known me for even five minutes, you’d probably know that am definitely not above messing with the classics, but even the classics deserve the spotlight sometimes. And Thanksgiving happening in T-minus SIX days is more than enough reason to share my ultimate Thanksgiving pumpkin pie with all you other pumpkin-addicts out there.
Embrace the pumpkin-addict inside you. I obviously do. 😉
We’re talking no frills, no-fuss, no frosting, and no streusel-covered (what?? who am I??) pumpkin pie today, guys. Basic crust + classic pumpkin pie filling and maaaaaybe whipped cream/ice cream heaped on top before digging in, but that’s pretty much it.
Okaaay and yeah, that last part is obviously necessary if you have even an ounce of humanity and respect for the great pumpkin pie, which is this.
Anyway, as I said: Simple, simple, SIMPLE is the theme for today. This pumpkin pie is totally foolproof and even novice pie-bakers can make it without a hitch.
Let’s talk crust: You can use storebought pie crust OR if you’re feeling domestic-y and in the mood for the good stuff, you can make your own. I’ll let you guess which one I prefer. 😉
The filling! Again, so simple, but I’m gonna let you in on a little hack that absolutely separates ALL pumpkin pies from the rest: Homemade pumpkin puree! Trust me, friends, it makes ALL the difference as far as flavor and texture goes—spot-on pumpkin flavor + silky texture!
Do it. It takes only minutes and I show you exactly how here.
Shazaaaam. Into the crust goes the filling and into the oven with the whole ‘thang to let the magic happen.
Pumpkin pie magic, guys. My favorite kind. 😉
Are you ready for your moment with a slice of the dreaaaaaamiest pumpkin pie in the history of Thanksgiving? ♥
Yyeeesss. I’ve totally been ready all year. 🍰 🍰 🍰
- Pie pastry for one 9-in pie
- 1-3/4 cups pumpkin puree (or one 15-oz can)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- Roll pie pastry out to fit a 9-in pie plate, transfer to plate and crimp edges. Preheat oven to 350F and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, sugar, eggs pumpkin pies spice, salt, cornstarch, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Pour pumpkin filling into prepared crust.
- Bake pumpkin pie at 350F 75-80 minutes or until a knife inserted in middle comes out clean. (if necessary, cover crust edges in foil while baking to avoid overbrowning.) Cool pumpkin pie completely on a wire cooling rack.
- NOTE: If desired, you can make leaf cut-outs out of leftover pie crust dough and bake them separately from the pie until golden-brown---after the pie is baked, arrange the leaf cutouts on top.
The recipe for this pumpkin pie was also featured in my Thanksgiving ebook that was just released! Have you gotten your copy yet??