Extra-fluffy inside and loaded with oats, blueberries, and banana flavor, these oatmeal sour cream pancakes are a perfect healthier way to get your pancake fix!
Guys, I have an idea. It’s kinda crazy, but bear with me.
Let’s pretend that it’s not Tuesday today. It’s actually Saturday morning and we’re all stuffing our faces with ginormous stacks of extra-fluffy, loaded-with-blueberries, dripping-with-syrup banana oatmeal sour cream pancakes.
Do you have the same thoughts I’m having right now? TAKE ME THERE.
Also, I’ve arrived upon the important realization that 3 solid months without a new pancake recipe is just ludicrous. I swear a solemn oath that such an indignity to pancakes will never happen again.
Can we talk about how today I’m totally making up for any and all pancake injustices committed? And in healthy form, so basically all things are forgiven, we’re ALL good with each other, and ready to take a one-way trip to pancake utopia.
The place you’ll likely want to take up residence in for the foreseeable pancake future. 😘
Alrighty guys let’s talk nerdy pancake science. Don’t let these pretty babies fool you, because they were a BEAR to finally get right. Four rounds of recipe testing and many pancake tears went down before arriving upon the perfect ultra-healthy pancake.
I won’t bore you with the recipe testing details, but let’s just say that there is an entire drawer in my freezer currently full of mediocre blueberry oatmeal sour cream pancakes.
The important stuff ‘ya need to know…
- A little bit of oil is required. I originally wanted to leave it out, but came to find out that it’s crucial in keeping the pancakes from becoming tough and gummy. *shudder*
- Sour cream in pancakes is the boss. No, seriously. It gives these pancakes the BEST ultra-fluffy texture. You’ll be dreaming about this texture, friends.
- Quick-cooking oats are key. No rolled oats here, guys! Quick oats keep these pancakes light and fluffy, yet still provide that oatmeal texture we all ♥.
- They really don’t taste like it, but they’re ultra-healthy. The calorie count rounds up to precisely 189 calories per two extra-large pancakes. *the highest of fives!*
Of course…you ARE probably gonna go nuts with the syrup waterfalls and let me just say, that I completely support those smart pancake decisions.
Seriously. Don’t wait for Saturday and dig into these pancakes NOW.
Then of course, make MORE come Saturday morning. 😉
Blueberry Oatmeal Sour Cream Pancakes
- 1-3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large ripe banana mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries if using frozen, do not thaw
- Maple syrup for serving
In a small bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream, egg, mashed banana, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Very gently, fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined.
Working in batches, drop batter by 1/4-cupfuls on a greased skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons blueberries per pancake on tops. Once bubbles form on tops, flip pancakes and cook on opposite side 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining pancake batter and blueberries. Keep pancakes warm until ready to serve. Serve warm with maple syrup.
Ready for a pancake palooza?? Check these ones out!