Zippy cajun-rubbed chicken, hot rice, and an amazing fresh avocado salad come together in these beautiful AND easy-to-throw together healthy rice bowls!
Look at that, guys! I let go of the cheesy, creamy stuff today just in time for our last day of my Pantry Staples dinner series. In favor of…
Hellooo, Mexican food and all the avocados I can carry. It’s time for a rice bowl.
Also, it’s almost time for reality to hit this girl straight in the face. As my mom and older sister are calling it: I have to go back to “adulting” on Monday. That’s code for SCHOOL, guys, and I’m not entirely sure about my feelings on that one yet. I’m obviously super-pumped to get back in the kitchen, especially since I have some really fun classes this upcoming semester. (nutrition and entree have got me really excited!) But the every-day drive up to campus in the snow and the cold? And the homework? Noooope, just not feeling it.
I feel like I should probably do something extremely fun this weekend before heading back to reality on Monday, but that would entail me leaving the house and the comfort of my pajamas and my blankets, so I’m thinking Netflix will have to provide the fun for me. Especially since I’m currently hooked on The Hundred with no signs of slowing down the binge either. 😉
So this weekend shall likely entail plenty of binge show watching and numerous rice bowls to keep me company. And if that’s not the most electrifying weekend plans I don’t even know what the heck is, friends.
So we should probably discuss the reason you’re going to want to make YOUR upcoming weekend a carbon copy of mine. → → This completely amazing bowl of Mexican hugs and happiness.
Spicy chicken and peppers. Hot fluffy rice. Piles of fresh avocado salad taking up like half of the bowl…this is the definition of the only Friday food you ever need.
And yeah, this probably goes without saying, but rice bowls and really anything served in a bowl is totally hip now’adays. And the fact that you’ve got your salad in the SAME bowl too just makes us even cooler.
So basically, your entire dinner is hanging out in one bowl. Ready to take on those inevitable faceplants. All the Friiiiiiiday feeeeeeels.
I won’t argue if you choose to drizzle the whole rice bowl shebang in ranch dressing. My ranch-addicted siblings always to that and they swear by it.
I prefer mine in smaller, less waterfall-like amounts on the side of my bowl, in case you’re wondering. 😉
So what do you say, guys? I think a rice bowl Friday night is absolutely in your near future.
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 2-in strips
- 1 sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted and diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cups diced romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ranch dressing for serving, optional
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, saute chicken, pepper, onion, and garlic in oil until chicken is cooked and vegetables are tender. Stir in Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Divide chicken and cooked rice between 6 serving bowls. Keep warm and set aside.
- Make the salad: In a small bowl, combine all salad ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide salad between chicken and rice bowls. Serve rice bowls with ranch dressing if desired. Enjoy!
Try these other favorites from Pantry Staples week!