Ultra-moist coffee-spiked bread pudding is a match made in heaven with chocolate and a heavenly homemade caramel rum sauce.—A coffee-lover’s dream dessert!
Oh man, guys. I’m clearly out to get your diet today. And we were doing SO good this week up until I met the bread pudding that clearly fell from heaven.
…theeeeen…Friday rolled around and I invited you to join me in my new favorite addiction.
Our new favorite addiction. I’ll share with y’all. Maybe?
Alrighty guys, first things first. Let’s talk about the pudding. It’s so so SO simple to make, and yet it tastes like it came from a fancy-schmancy coffeehouse. Ultra-custardy, moist, and absolutely reminds me of a cafe mocha.
You know…as much as bread pudding can. There’s an entire cup of brewed coffee inside the pudding alone, so there’s that. ♥
Then came the sauce. I mean, the bread pudding is amazing on it’s own, but let’s be truthful here: Caramel. Rum. Sauce. Few words need to be said about that, but I WILL give you a friendly piece of advice which involves hiding all your spoons from yourself.
Slightly boozy and full-on caramel-y, this stuff is pure liquid gold and purely dangerous. Seriously.
Friends, let me emphasize a few very important points before I leave you to your bread pudding business.
A) You must devour this pudding warm. It is the bombety-BOMB.com warm and every luscious bite totally melts in your mouth. Do it.
B) You simply must include literal rivers of the aforespoken caramel rum sauce. Taking it aaaaaaaall the way, guys.
C) Lastly and most importantly, you must eat all of this bread pudding in the day it is made. Preferably within minutes, because hello, anticipation! It’s really not nearly as good after one day, but I honestly don’t think you’re going to have a problem with this one, peeps.
I mean, I basically just gave you permission to eat bread pudding for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack today.
Friday, consider yourself WON!
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup strong-brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups 1/2-in bread cubes, preferably dry and stale
- 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- CARAMEL RUM SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, butter, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until smooth. Add bread cubes to bowl and gently stir until bread is moistened.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Bake bread pudding at 325F 50-55 minutes or until lightly browned (middle may still be a little jiggly---this is ok) Cool bread pudding slightly on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the caramel sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in sugar, agave, and rum until smooth. Bring sauce to a boil over medium-heat until dark in color and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in salt, baking soda, and cream until smooth and pourable.
- Serve bread pudding warm with warm caramel rum sauce. Enjoy!
Let’s do MORE mocha!