You won’t believe that this amazing homemade fried rice is made completely from cauliflower! Loaded with lots of chicken, a rainbow of veggies, and all the fried rice ‘fixins.
So I might be completely obsessed with this edible rainbow in a pan.
I might even be eating some as we speak because I can’t even force myself to stop thinking about it.
And yeaaah, I realize this is probably a weird thing for me to be throwing a savory rainbow in your face on a FRIDAY of all things, but hear me out! It’s the last day of our week-long make-ahead dinner lineup and I totally saved the best for last.
It’s a legit edible rainbow of healthy fried rice, guys. Because I’m celebrating the fact that spring might fin-aaaaaally be here! For real, it was 60 yesterday and I am freaking excited and currently eating all the rainbows.
My face has found a permanent home in amongst the cashews, the chicken and other said rainbow veggie goodness.
So how does this fried rice fit into our make-ahead theme? Because literally every single portion of it can be made ahead. The way I do it is just about as simple as it gets: I throw the cauliflower into the food processor to get my cauli rice, cook my eggs, (it’s not REAL fried rice without ’em!) saute up all the veggies, toss the cauli rice, chicken, cooked eggs, and some frozen peas into the skillet and honestly, that is all!
Later on when the voice of dinner calls your name, all you’ll have to do is throw the skillet back on the stove until it’s heated through. Toss in some toasty cashews, soy sauce, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste…
Then and only then are you allowed to do a rainbow skillet swan dive. Ciao, self control. 😉
My mom and I? Obsessed with this fried rice. The rest of the family? Not so much since they have a slight aversion to cauliflower, but trust me: that is completely okay with Mom and me. We’re barely interested in sharing with each other because this stuff really is just that good.
This rice though, guys. THIS RICE.
Friday demands you make it happen and so do I.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse several times until cauliflower is ground up and the consistency of rice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once pan is hot, pour beaten egg mixture into pan. As egg begins to set, use a spatula to push edges towards center. Continue doing so until egg is completely cooked. Remove egg from pan, cool, and finely dice. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until pan is hot. Add onion, garlic, carrot, and broccoli and saute several minutes until veggies are caramelized and tender. Reduce heat to medium and add cauliflower rice, peas, chicken, and diced egg and saute 8-10 minutes until rice is heated through. At this point, rice may be refrigerated up to 4 days.
- To finish the rice, return skillet to medium heat, and stir over heat 8-10 minutes until rice is heated through. Remove from heat and stir in toasted cashews, soy sauce, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy cauliflower rice hot!