Sourdough bread without all the hours of work and made without sourdough starter in the form of adorable and addicting little bread twists!
Let’s talk carbs, guys. And the fact that I brought them in FULL-ON Friday force today.
Are you even surprised? That is clearly how Fridays will forever roll around here. Usually every other day of the week too, but never mind that…
Now I need to for real tell you about my new current carb love. That would be these lovely and just plain freaking adorbs little sourdough twists, of course.
Confession time: I’m a total sourdough bread fanatic if you want the honest truth here, guys. That unmatchable tangy flavor? Those pillowy-soft textures? Ugh, I’m just totally sourdough’s biggest fan ever. I’m pretty sure I even dreamed about these knots last night…
Okay, so obviously the only thing I’m not too particularly lovin’ about sourdough would likely be the literal DAYS and I mean daaaaaaays that it takes to make it. Ain’t nobody got time to wait for that sourdough starter! Let me show you how the cheaters like myself do it.
In order to get that distinct tangy flavor all good sourdough bread should have, today we’re employing the use of plain yogurt and white vinegar in the dough. It really, REALLY works, guys! The flavor of these knots is a dead-ringer for classic days-long-process sourdough and these little winners are also for REAL ready in under 2 hours!
I’m a total sourdough cheater pants and I’m also kinda loving it over here in easy-peasy carb land. ♥
Rich, tangy, melt-in-yo-mouth light and fluffy. I’m in carb awe over here peeps. I’m also right on track for falling into a sourdough overdose coma.
Word to the carb-a-holic wise: Brush these babes up with ALL that buttery goodness immediately after they come out of the oven. Then it might be a good idea to just eat them all right then and there as long as we’re thinking about it.
Admit it, you were. So you should.
<— PREACH. Doin’ this whole Friday thing right, guys.
- 1 pkg (1/4-oz) active dry yeast (2-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110F)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups white whole wheat flour
- Melted butter for brushing
- In the bowl of a large stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy, then whisk in sugar, oil, yogurt, and salt until smooth. Add 4 cups flour to mixer, and mix on medium speed, adding additional flour by the tablespoon until dough is smooth and pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead several minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch risen dough down and divide into 18 portions. Roll each portion into a 12-in rope and twist several times. Place twists on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake twists at 375F 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush twists with melted butter. Enjoy twists warm from the oven!
Welcome to my bread addiction. ♥