Packed with peanut butter, chocolate, oats, and homemade caramel sauce, these coconut oil oat bars literally have it all!—Perfect for an after-school snack or for tucking into lunchboxes.
Valid question: where in the world did summer go and why the heck are there only three days of August left?
I mean, summer technically ended for me last Wednesday and I’m still having a little bit of trouble dealing with that realism, but still. Once we get to those last few precious days of August, that’s when it really starts sinking in.
And then after that it’s September and I pretty much forget about my summer grief because then it’s pumpkin/apple/cozy food/cheesy food/football food season!
Oh man, is it on, friends. I might even have a pumpkin recipe coming your way by the end of this week. Shhhhhh…
Moving on momentarily to more important things…like these coconut oil peanut butter caramel chocolate chip oat bars that we haven’t even spoken one word about. Both a literal and metaphorical mouthful. Say it 5x fast.
Okay, y’all. Seeing how it’s back-to-school time for nearly everyone, I figured snacky lunch-box-type food was a must for my blog. That’s these chocolate oat bars for you. In fact, they are so ridiculously jam-packed with all the things, it’s almost a requirement you snack on these every.single.dang.day.
I wouldn’t know anything on a personal level about that statement above. But I can sure as heck agree with it 1000%.
Therefore. —> Layer no.1 = coconut oil peanut butter oat cookie bar base. (this doubles as the crust and as the crumb topping later on!)
Layer no.2 —> Homemade caramel sauce. I mean, of course.
Layer no.3 —> Semisweet chocolate and lots of it. Things are getting real now.
Layer no.4 —> More crumbs on top. Yeeeeeees.
Bake that whole beautiful mess up until it looks something like this. ⇓⇓ Or until your face looks something like this. —> 😋😋😋
So much yes, so little time to eat ALL of these. Give it your best shot.
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with tin foil and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix in coconut oil, peanut butter, and vanilla until mixture is crumbly.
- Press 2/3 of crumbs into prepared pan and reserve remaining crumbs. Bake crust at 375F 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Make the filling: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then whisk in sugar. Bring mixture to a low boil until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda and salt.
- Spread caramel layer evenly over pre-baked crust and top with chocolate chips and remaining crumb topping.
- Bake bars at 375F 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire cooling rack before slicing into squares. Enjoy!
Welcome to the coconut oil party, y’all. —>