This soft applesauce snack cake gets mixed up in minutes and it bakes up perfectly every time! Smother this cake in tangy cream cheese frosting for one winner fall snack or dessert.
Fall is on, y’all. It is SO freaking on.
I’m a little excited/eating all the applesauce snack cake over here. Cover your eyes because there’s probably frosting all over my face.
I quite clearly have no shame when it comes to cake. Ever.
Okay you guys, so it’s time to talk fall. Because as I said before, it is officially on. I’ve already stocked my pantry with enough pumpkin to feed an army, my mom already went out to the apple orchard and came back with huge baskets of apples, and even the weather is starting to fit nicely into the fall mood. Jeans/hoodie weather for liiiiiiiiiife.
Even though this super-nice part of fall is usually short-lived, it’s totally my fav. I live for those crisp, sunny fall days where the air outside smells like fall and the air inside my kitchen smells like a fall bakery.
Mostly because fall baking is the boss. I realize I’m totally cliche, but apples and pumpkin RULE.
Also, they more or less take over my blog this time of year. Sorry/not sorry in advance.
Case-in-point with that topic. —> this applesauce snack cake that I should probably tell you about sometime today.
This snack cake is honestly just about the closest match to fall heaven I have yet to find. It’s soft, moist, applesauce-y/perfectly spiced, plus cream cheese frosting smothering every inch is just guaranteed to make anything amazeballs.
The secrets to what makes this snack cake so darn moist? Well, one of them is not-so-secret since it’s obviously applesauce, but we’ve also got coconut oil doing it’s double-duty here keeping things extra-EXTRA soft and yet healthy at the same time.
Or at least it WAS healthy until this cake accidentally got into a cream cheese frosting accident. We’ll call it a fortunate accident, guys.
As you could probably guess, this cake went over EXTREMELY well with the family. I baked it up, left it on the counter, then shortly after that went to school, but I’m pretty sure I heard from multiple sources that Rachel and Isaiah helped themselves to about three pieces of cake each.
I probably wouldn’t have done the same thing and they probably didn’t learn that from me. Probably.
We all down for fall baking now, y’all? Get it. —>
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups white whole flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Ground cinnamon for topping
- Make the cake: Grease a 9x13 baking pan and preheat oven to 350F. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, applesauce, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake cake at 350F 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Beat in cream by the tablespoon until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Slice cake into squares and serve. Enjoy!
Try these other apple favs next, y’all! It’s totally apple season.