Grab one pot and a handful of ingredients and you’ve got everything you need to make this ‘kickin, flavorful Mexican chicken and rice skillet! The easiest weeknight dinner ever.
You’re welcome for ALL the easy weeknight dinners about to hit you in the face.
First week of September was always the unofficial start to fall for me because of the obvious thing called back-to-school. Always bipolar feelings about that but neveeeeer bad feelings about all the easy + amazing weeknight dinners that come with it. 😀😀
And yes, the whole one-pot thing is quite honestly my favorite dinner deal in the whole wide world.
Less dishes, more eating is gonna win anyone’s heart, FYI. Even if you have a sweet boyfriend like mine who only mildly complains about dish duty. 😝😝
So. The details on this one-pot spicy Mexican chicken and rice are as follows >>>
- Seriously ONE POT. Chicken, peppers, onions, and garlic get browned in the pan.
- Rice, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and a whoooole ton of seasonings join the party.
- Bring it all to a boil and then let simmer for 20ish minutes.
- Fluff your gorgeous one-pot dinner and top it with ALL the avocado and fresh tomato. And a squeeze of lime to brighten all the flavors.
Ugh. That’s one serious dinner beauty in one pot.
You might be tempted to eat it straight from the pot, but hey, no judgment because as you can see that’s kinda already our thing. 😎😎
One-Pot Spicy Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 large sweet pepper diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper finely minced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 can 15 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Fresh lime wedges diced tomato and avocado for topping
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until shimmery. Add chicken, peppers, onion, and garlic. Saute several minutes until veggies are tender and chicken is no longer pink. Add spices and rice to pan and stir occasionally 3 more minutes.
Pour diced tomatoes and broth into pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Let simmer 20 minutes until rice is fluffy and cooked. Fluff rice with a fork and top with lime wedges, tomato, and avocado. Enjoy!