A lighter and easier spin on a comfort food classic! This creamy baked potato cheddar soup makes itself in the crockpot and it’s going to quickly become a dinner staple in your house!
My current state is soup, guys. Soup every.dang.day, sometimes even 2x a day and I’m not even kidding either.
That’s how you know it’s fall/fastly-approaching-a-deadly-Wisconsin-winter where I live, guys. We LIVE on the hot cozy foods around here.
Also see exhibit A. ^^^ the baked potato cheddar soup that I’ve basically been eating every day this week and I don’t plan on changing that habit anytime soon.
THIS SOUP, GUYS! It’s like a comfort food miracle. Like two major comfort foods all jammed into one. Ps, it’s also jammed into a crockpot which automatically WINS.
So here we basically have everything you love about a baked potato in creamy, insanely-cozy soup form. There obviously had to be cheese too, right? It wouldn’t be a legit baked potato without it, so cheddar steps up for the job.
This is literally one of those soups where you can just set it and FORGET about it! The only prep that’s done outside of the crockpot is oven-baking the potatoes and that’s seriously so easy. (psssssst…this is also a great way to use up leftover baked potatoes! SCORE.)
The smells of this baked potato cheddar soup that hit me straight in the face when I walked into my apartment after a long day of classes last week was honestly the best part of my day. 😍😍
This is all of our types of comfort food, guys. I’m eating this soup on repeat until May. ✌️✌️
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and pricked with a fork
- 2 medium carrots, diced into 1/4-in squares
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake at 425F 40-45 minutes until potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork. Cool potatoes then scoop out pulp, discarding skins. Place potatoes in bottom of a 3-qt crockpot.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, chicken broth, and milk to crockpot. Stir until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk cream and flour until smooth and add to crockpot.
- Cook potato soup on low 4-6 hours, stirring every few hours until soup is creamy and veggies are cooked through. Add cheese to soup and stir until melted. Add parsley and season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup hot and enjoy!