Cream cheese makes these beautiful apples scones SO flaky inside and maple syrup adds just the right touch of fall.—These scones are the best fall breakfast straight outta the oven!
I brought us all THE most real-deal fall breakfast for the weekend, guys! Spoiler alert: it’s a pretty dang perfect batch of apple scones.
Spoiler alert numero two: they were very perfect. Hence the fact that there’s not many left in my scone supply. 😩😩
Remember these bad boys last fall? Gosh, those were some good apple scones. CARAMEL APPLE SCONES, mind you. I was thinking about that recipe recently and decided that another scone knock-off just had to happen.
So today’s scone insanity includes the following: apples + maple syrup + cream cheese. It’s all wrapped up into one perfect little scone package and clearly ‘yo basic weekend breakfast goals.
Oh my gosh, the actual dough for these scones is that of a miracle, friends. Cream cheese makes the interior SO rich, tender, and flaky it’s ridiculous. <<< now imagine that with soft, sweet apples in every bite. And maple syrup doubling duty in the dough and MORE brushed on the outside of these beauties.
Pretty sure all of my breakfast dreams just came true. You?
You will want to devour these apple scones STRAIGHT from the oven while they’re piping-hot and honestly, I would HIGHLY recommend a cup of hot apple cider alongside 1, 2…or 5 of these. 😏😏
Gotta go all the way with those fall feels and you will be glad ya did. ♥
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed into 1/2-in pieces
- 1/3 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced into 1/2-in cubes
- Additional maple syrup for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Mix in cream cheese, maple syrup, egg, cream, and vanilla until a shaggy dough forms. Mix in apples.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead several times until dough comes together. Pat dough into a 1-in thick round. Cut the round into 8 wedges and place wedges on prepared baking sheet. Brush wedges with additional maple syrup.
- Bake scones at 425F 13-15 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack. Serve warm and enjoy!