Any caramel macchiato fan is going to go crazy over these bakery-style scones! Soft and flaky oatmeal scones are drizzled with a homemade salted caramel sauce for the ultimate coffee shop indulgence!
I am a die-hard caramel macchiato fan, friends. I don’t go to coffee shops too often but when I do…it’s always gonna be a caramel macchiato. 16-oz, extra salted caramel sauce. Hot or iced, I-don’t-care-just-give-it-to-me 😍
Ohmigoshhhhhhh. Obviously scones featuring my favorite drink on the planet was a pretty good breakfast game plan.
Or a bad idea. These little beauts are proving to be quite dangerous. Do you even SEE all that caramel goodness going on??? Like half caramel, half oatmeal coffee scone. Help.
Here’s how it went down, guys: Tender little oatmeal scones met coffee, coffee oatmeal scones met HOMEMADE salted caramel sauce and the rest went down in very legendary breakfast history.
Scone steps are as follows. >>> (spoiler, it’s so.freaking.easy.)
- Scone base! It’s my standard dough I use for all of my scone recipes only this time it’s jazzed up with oats and plenty of espresso.
- While yo scones bake it is definitely CARAMEL time! My salted caramel sauce takes only 5 minutes to throw together on the stove and I’d highly recommend tasting. (highlyyyyyy)
- Whatever caramel is left that you haven’t eaten with a spoon…drench it on top of your scone beauties to within an inch of their scone lives.
Then it’s obviously time to grab your actual caramel macchiato and eat these caramel macchiato oatmeal scones the RIGHT way.
And the correct way is on instant repeat with yo caramel macchiato close nearby. ♥
Caramel Macchiato Oatmeal Scones
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Mix in cream, espresso, vanilla, and egg until a shaggy dough forms.
Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead several times until dough comes together. Pat dough into a 1-in thick round. Cut the round into 8 wedges and place wedges on prepared baking sheet. Brush with additional brewed espresso
Bake scones at 425F 13-15 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack.
Make the caramel sauce: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add sugar, agave and salt and bring caramel sauce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until golden brown and thickened.
Remove caramel from heat and drizzle while warm over cooled scones. Let scones stand 5 minutes then enjoy!