This glazed almond pound cake may look simple on the outside, but inside hides a beautiful cranberry swirl.—It’s a stunner for any holiday dessert table.
Yesssss I am 100000% serious about this pound cake today, guys. Be completely aware that you’re about to go into festive overload….
…but then please follow me this way because we’ve got serious CAKE BUSINESS to attend to.
Oh mah goooooooosh…there’s just something about a good glazed-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life almond pound cake with a stunner ribbon of cranberries inside that always gets me.
In a rather horrifying way, of course. I tell ya, cake is NOT A GOOD THING to have in the house when you’re living solo. I repeat, NOT A GOOD THING.
I know this cake looks difficult and fussy to make, but appearances can be deceiving because this one is a TOTAL breeze to throw together! I’m so serious, guys! Check it out. >>>>
- Pound cake batter. It’s just a simple pound cake base livened up with tons of almond extract and lots of tender loving cake care.
- Cranberry filling. 3 ingredients, I’m so serious!! It cooks up completely on the stove in only minutes.
- ^^^ let those two components get to know each other in a loaf pan and then it’s time to make your house smell like a cake factory!
- Glaze. It’s not required of this almond pound cake but…well, c’mon we all know it actually is.
This cake. Oh man, it seriously bakes up SO moist, buttery, and dense inside and you may actually swoon when you cut into the first piece and feast your eyes on that gorgeous goal-worthy swirl. GAH.
Obviously beyond perfect and appropriate for any holiday dessert table but…you know cake hoarding is a thing right? I do it quite often with no shame.
P.S. PLEASEEEEEE make this freaking awesome cake. Begging over here. 😲😲
Cranberry Swirl Almond Pound Cake
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
Make the the cranberry swirl: In a small saucepan, combine all swirl ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and simmer compote until cranberries are broken down and sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill.
Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until completely smooth and creamy. Beat in extracts and eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly beat in milk, flour, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
Scrape half of batter into prepared pan. Spread cranberry swirl on top of batter and top with remaining batter. Use a knife to gently swirl batter and cranberries several times. Bake pound cake at 350F 55-60 minutes or until toothpick tests done. Let cake cool in pan 20 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk all glaze ingredients until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake and let stand 10 minutes. Slice pound cake and enjoy!