“These soft rolls are as light as clouds, thanks to the special ingredient–potatoes! Serve these rolls warm with butter.” ~Sarah
• 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 1/2 cup honey
•1/4 cup safflower oil
• 2 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 6-8 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1/3 cup butter
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a small pot, cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are soft. Drain potatoes, reserving 1 cup potato water. Mash potatoes reserving 1 cup (save any remaining potatoes for another use) Cool water and potatoes.
2. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in reserved potato water. Add reserved mashed potatoes, butter, honey, oil, eggs, salt, and 2 cups flour. Stir well until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
3. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about five minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. Punch dough down and divide into 12 balls. Place balls in 9 x 13 in baking pan. Let rise about 30 minutes, or until doubled. Bake at 400 F 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
5. Prepare topping: Melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and parsley. Saute until fragrant. Brush over warm rolls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Allow to cool 30 minutes then remove rolls from pan, and serve.
Yield: 1- 1/2 dozen rolls.
Store in airtight container up to 2 days.