“I thought that blueberry cupcakes would taste delicious with lemon curd inside, and I was right! Moist cakes studded with juicy blueberries, a homemade lemon curd filling, and a whipped cream cheese frosting makes these treats irresistible!
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
• 1/2 cup lemon juice
• 3 egg yolks
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 3/4 cup honey
• 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries (If using frozen do not thaw)
• Recipe for Homemade Whipped Cream (Cut recipe in half) https://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2012/11/23/homemade-whipped-cream/
• Recipe for Cream-Cheese Frosting (Cut recipe in half) https://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2013/01/11/cream-cheese-frosting/
• 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Additional grated lemon zest for garnish, optional
1. Prepare the lemon curd: In a small saucepan whisk all lemon curd ingredients until smooth. Simmer over medium-high heat until bubbly and slightly thickened. Strain through a sieve. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
2. Prepare the cakes by whisking butter, honey, zest, eggs, yogurt, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla together in a large bowl until smooth. In a medium bowl combine baking powder, salt, and flour. Add flour mixture to liquid mixture and stir until just moistened. Gently fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake at 375 F 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on cooling rack.
3. To make the frosting, place both frostings and lemon extract in small bowl. Gently fold until combined.
4. Cut a small circle out of tops of cakes and fill with 1 teaspoon chilled lemon curd. Replace tops, and frost with frosting. Dollop any remaining lemon curd over tops and sprinkle with lemon zest if desired. Serve.
Yield: 14 cupcakes.
Store in refrigerator 1-2 days.