A Week of Rhubarb continues with this kid-friendly and SO EASY applesauce.
Ask my two-year sister, Rachel. This applesauce is GOOD. Rachel is more than a little crazy about applesauce. She asks for it every day. She snarfed down two big bowls of this awesome stuff and would have helped herself to a third had I let her.
And who can blame her? Apples. Rhubarb. Strawberries. What’s not to love?
I have big plans for this applesauce. I’m thinking it would be amazing over pancakes, waffles, yogurt, cereal, or even ice cream!
Originally I had planned to make this sauce in the slow-cooker but I then I thought, who has time for that? I knew Rachel was going to be getting up from her nap soon and she would be hungry. I dumped the ingredients in my largest saucepan, covered the pan, set the stove, and stood there biting my fingernails hoping it would turn out.
40 minutes later, I lifted the lid and was hit by a sweet-tangy smell coming from my applesauce that had turned out beautifully! Talk about a close shave! Rachel woke up 5 minutes later and I immediately told her I had a surprise for her. I brought her into the kitchen and she exclaimed “APPLESAUCE??” She then proceeded to smack her way through nearly half of the batch I made.
Something tells me that this will not be the last time I make this applesauce!
- • 4 cups fresh rhubarb diced
- • 8 cups apples peeled, cored, and diced
- • 1/2 cup honey
- • 1 cup fresh strawberries finely diced
- • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place rhubarb and apples in a large saucepan. Drizzle with honey and stir to coat. Cover pan and simmer over medium heat 40-45 minutes or until fruit is tender. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Serve warm or cold.
Yield: 2 quarts.
Store in refrigerator up to 4 days.