Mmm. Rhubarb and strawberries. Truly a match made in heaven.
And topped with a crunchy pecan streusel? You could easily consume several of these pretty muffins in only minutes. No kidding.
I had so much fun taking pictures of these beautiful muffins.
They were sooo pretty! “Were” is the key word. There was not a crumb left one hour after I made them. That’s how fast my baked goodies go around here.
I’m having a ball cooking with rhubarb. I LOVE it! Of course, anyone who knows me knows that I love almost every kind of food. Except pizza with pineapple or onions. Ew. Call me weird but I just can’t stand pineapple or onions on pizza. They both ruin a perfectly good piece of pizza 🙁
But getting back to these muffins. They’re so moist and fluffy! They’re not too sweet and they have slightly tart rhubarb, sweet strawberries, and crunchy pecans in every morsel. They speak SUMMER in every single heavenly bite.
Rhubarb-Strawberry Streusel Muffins
- • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- • 1 tablespoon baking powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 cup honey
- • 3/4 cup milk
- • 1 egg
- • 1/3 cup safflower oil
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1/2 cup rhubarb finely diced
- • 1/2 cup fresh strawberries diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- 2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- 3. In a medium bowl, beat honey, milk, egg, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients until crumbly. Fill muffin liners 3/4 full batter. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter and gently press topping to adhere it to the muffins. Bake in preheated oven 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire cooling rack 10 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
- Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
Seriously, I think that kid loves applesauce more than she loves me!