Finally got around to putting together a Mealtime Monday 😀
These past few weeks have been crazy busy. This week promises to be more of the same, as I finish up my last week of my ballet intensive and have performances at the end of this week.
Anddd..next week I begin my preparation for catering all the desserts for my grandparent’s 50th wedding anniversary party (I’ve got some amazing recipes coming soon!) Also my older sister (Hi, Lora!) and HER family will be arriving from Kansas, next week for visiting and for the party. So I’ll pretty much be spending the next few weeks practically living in the kitchen 😉 No more dreaming about an exceptional midi guitar at musicians friend 😉
After all that craziness has passed by, I intend to spend the rest of my summer lazing around, cooking and baking, working on my blog, and really just relaxing for the first time this whole summer.
Now that I’ve given you the update on my insane life, let’s dive into Mealtime Monday!
I’m proud to say that I am a pretty good griller. I loveee food cooked on the grill, and I usually try to grill out at least twice a week. I love it all: chicken, beef hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled veggies, kabobs..ect.
I’ve only had a few
scorching-black food incidents 😉
Do you like basil? You’d better ’cause this chicken is COVERED in it. My mom and I always plant a ton of basil plants in the summer cause ‘boy do we love our basil!
Fresh garlic, A touch of lemon juice, minced onion, and melted butter combine with zippy, fresh basil to create a juicy, and zesty sauce for the chicken.
Juicy and bursting with basil flavor. Yummm!
Garlic-Basil Grilled Chicken
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 chicken thighs
1. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, onion, garlic, basil, lemon juice, pepper, and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Cook chicken on grill, brushing each side with sauce and turning, until juices run clear (about 40 minutes)
Yield: 8 servings
Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Adapted from Taste of Home
I swear, you will not want to stop eating it.
Most mac ‘n’ cheese recipes I find call for cups and cups of heavy cream–I mean really, and combined with gobs of cheese too? We’re looking at probably above 600 calories for just one serving!
This recipe uses skim milk, just a touch of butter, two kinds of cheese, whole-wheat flour, and a few spices for flavor.
An herbed bread crumb topping perfectly tops this mac ‘n’ cheese’s perfection.
Gooey mac ‘n’ cheese without the guilt? Heck yes. Pass me the plate!
Guilt-Free Mac 'N' Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 4-1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 16 oz pkgs shell pasta, cooked according to package instructions
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk, mustard, onion, and pepper until no lumps remain. Stir over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses, and salt to taste.
2. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and stir to coat. Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 375 F 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes then serve.
Yield: 10-12 servings
Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Have a great Monday!