Looking for a healthier breakfast option, but you’re sick of plain oatmeal? Try these amazing-ly soft pumpkin muffins filled with lots of nutty oats, for a super-filling grab ‘n’ go breakfast!
How was everyone’s Thanksgiving? I enjoyed a wonderful weekend of food and family—two of my top favorite things in the world! I stuffed myself with:
- My mom’s cornbread stuffing (my favorite T-day dish!)
- Sweet ‘n’ tart cranberry sauce.
- Homemade apple pie with caramel sauce and whipped cream (to die for!)
- Lots of turkey.
- My mom’s creamy and buttery mashed potatoes topped with my grandma’s smooth turkey gravy.
- About a million other things.
Seriously though, it was a really nice Thanksgiving. Our house was packed for several days with family, and we all really enjoyed our time together. (we don’t get together too often) *sigh* But now it’s Monday….and time to get back to reality.
I thought you guys might appreciate a lighter recipe to start off your week, since most of you probably enjoyed a ton of heavy food this weekend….I know I did. (If you need me, I’ll be on the treadmill for the next 2 months)
Anyway, onto the muffins! Healthy muffins filled with moist pumpkin, nutty oats, and plenty of spice. I could have topped these muffins with a streusel topping or a vanilla icing, but for today, I decided to just keep things sweet and simple. Because these muffins don’t have a crumbly topping or a messy icing, they make an ideal grab-and-go breakfast for busy mornings. They’re super-filling, too! I ate one muffin for breakfast this morning, and it kept me going all morning!
Who has time in the morning to bake? Not me! So for your convenience, these muffins are ready in a mere 30 minutes and call for basic muffin ingredients: Flour, baking powder, salt, honey, eggs, vegetable oil, ect. Now to make these muffins into soft pumpkin-y oat heaven we’ve got pure pumpkin (obviously) old-fashioned rolled oats, pumpkin pie spice, and buttermilk (important! The buttermilk contributes a lot to the amazing-ly soft texture of these muffins)
I insist that you try these muffins asap. Soft, moist AND light muffins in only 30? Um. YES!
Skinny Pumpkin Oat Muffins
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cup buttermilk
- Melt butter over medium-high heat, add oats and stir frequently until oats are golden and fragrant. Transfer oats to a food processor and pulse several times until coarsely chopped. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice to food processor. Pulse once to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until smooth. Add flour mixture to liquid mixture, gently stirring until just combined. Fill a greased 12-cup muffin tin to the brim with muffin batter.
- Bake muffins at 400F 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and continue baking additional 15-17 minutes until muffins are golden. Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Try my other dee-lish muffin recipes!