This light and fresh pasta salad has classic Greek ingredients along with a fun twist of silky avocado slices and a refreshing olive oil-lemon dressing, topped with lots of feta cheese. Bring this salad to any summer cook-out and watch it disappear!
‘Tis the season of barbecues, cook-outs, and summer salads.
Just a warning: This is the first pasta salad recipe of many yet to come. All I can say is I hope you guys like your pasta. 🙂
I practically live on pasta salad in the summertime. Hot pasta is a no-no in this household when it’s over 90 degrees outside, so I almost always have a pasta salad in the fridge during the summer.
I literally have at least 10 different variations of pasta salad that I make regularly, and I love them all dearly, but this one. Oh my gosh, it’s my absolute new favorite. For a few reasons…
1. I LOVE Greek food!
2. It’s so easy! It calls for only a handful of ingredients and it’s on the table in less than 30.
3. It’s goes amazing-ly with any summer meal. Hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled chicken, ect.
4. It’s lighter in calories. No gloppy mayo dressing in this salad! Although I do enjoy a good classic pasta salad with mayo dressing, sometimes I want something a little lighter and fresher for dinner. This pasta salad fits the bill. 😀
5. It has avocados in it. Need I say more?
I’m a California-girl at heart, even though I live in Wisconsin. — Avocados are my best friend and I CANNOT get enough of ’em.
Speaking of which I have a FAB avocado salsa recipe that I cannot WAIT to share with y’all. It’ll change your life it’s so amazing.
So let’s talk about the components of this amazing salad: We’ve got pasta (obviously) cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, feta cheese (lots of feta) and avocados…Ohh avocados…They just complete this salad.
Yeah, I know I kind of went non-traditional by adding sliced avocado to a Greek pasta salad, but I couldn’t help myself. I had TON of ripe avocados on the counter that were just begging to be thrown into this salad.
I’ve never been one to ignore the helpless cries of an avocado.
Okay, that sounded just a little bit weird. Let’s just forget I said that and move on.
The finishing touch for this pasta salad is just a simple olive oil-lemon dressing, but it really transforms this salad. After adding the dressing, I like to add about 1/2 cup of reserved pasta cooking water to the salad. — I do this with nearly all my pasta salads because it keeps the pasta moist and will prevent it from drying out.
I prefer to chill this pasta salad about 30 minutes before serving, just to give the pasta a chance to soak up and marinate in the dressing. The longer this pasta salad sits = better flavor. — It will keep well in the fridge for up to 2 days, so feel free to mix it up in advance.
Pasta salads are technically only supposed to be for summer, but this salad is so fantastic, I think I’m gonna have to bend some rules and make it year-round.
I’m a pasta salad-holic. What can I say?
This pasta salad is going on my menu for Memorial Day on Monday, and can I just say that it really needs to be on yours too? It’s so easy anyone can make it and I PROMISE you won’t be disappointed.
Bring it to any cook-out or barbecue and prepare to come home with an empty container and numerous recipe requests.
Greek Avocado Pasta Salad
- 1 16 oz package shell pasta
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 can 20 oz black olives, drained and sliced
- 2 avocados pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Drain and rinse pasta and place in a large bowl. Set both aside.
- Add halved tomatoes, olives, avocado, and cheese to pasta in bowl and stir to combine.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and coconut sugar. Shake until smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir until evenly coated. Stir in reserved pasta water and season salad with salt and pepper to taste. Store pasta salad in refrigerator until ready to serve.
May I suggest that you serve this pasta salad alongside one of these juicy burgers??
All-American Loaded Hamburgers
Baby June says
Yum, that looks awesome! I love Greek salad, but there’s nothing the addition of pasta doesn’t improve. 🙂
Thank you, June! And pasta always does make everything a little better doesn’t it? 😉
Kelly @ The Pretty Bee: Cooking + Creating says
This pasta salad looks AWESOME! Filled with lots of yummy flavors!
It’s SO good, Kelly! Photos don’t even do it justice! 😉
I love greek food and I love pasta salad. So this recipe is a perfect combination for me. Thanks for sharing 😉
Let me know if you try this salad, Olivia! Have a great Memorial Day!
Sarah @ Running On Brie says
This looks really delicious! I adore pasta salad and I like the idea of combining avocado, black olives and feta. Just might give this one a try!
Thank you, Sarah! Please let me know if you try this salad! 🙂
Isadora @ she likes food says
Greek salad is my favorite and I put avocados on pretty much everything, so this sounds perfect! This summer is all about creative salads and this one will definitely be on my list 🙂
You sound exactly like me, Isadora! I put avocados on nearly everything too. 😉 Now, I have to go check out that yummy-looking potato salad you posted! 😀
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
I love cold pasta salads on hot summer days. My husband is OBSESSED with olives, so he would gobble this right up!
LMK if you try this salad and how Shawn likes it, Natalie! 🙂