Kick your usual potato salad up a notch this summer with this creamy Texas-style potato salad that has plenty of heat from pickled jalapeno peppers. An ideal side dish with any grilled meat!
Because everything tastes better in Texas. Beef ribs, texas chili, a big ‘ol steak, and it turns out, potato salad too!
Those Texans sure know what they’re doing with their potato salad. I never knew that classic potato salad could have such a kick of spiciness.
I think I’ve been sheltered all my life from fun variations of potato salad since growing up, my mom’s potato salad was always amazing, but pretty tame in the spice department.
I decided it was time to kick classic potato salad up a notch.
And by a notch, I mean adding some heat.
All you people who have a low tolerance for spicy had better stick to your green salads. This ‘kickin potato salad ain’t for the faint of heart.
Oh, boy. I’m even talking like a Texan now. I guess eating Texas-style potato salad can do that to you.
This salad is fairly easy to whip up, but does require over an hour of chill time. All the ingredients need time to meld and marinate together in order to get the absolute best flavor.
I like to make this salad ahead of time in the morning and then let it chill all day until dinnertime. The flavors are fantastic by then!
Note: Whatever you do, do NOT substitute for the Yukon Gold potatoes. The texture and flavors of this salad won’t be the same without ‘them yellow spuds. 😉
Use as many pickled jalapeno peppers in this salad as you can stand. I prefer a TON of heat in my potato salad and usually toss in quite a few peppers, but feel free to dial back the heat if you’re making this salad for the ‘young-uns.
There are SO many things you can serve this potato salad with: Burgers, grilled chicken, BBQ beef ribs…pretty much anything grilled pairs perfectly with this salad. Just make sure you have some watermelon nearby too. It’s not a summer meal without watermelon. 😉
It’s creamy, packs in a perfect amount of heat, and makes a pretty ‘dang good addition to just about any barbecue or cook-out.
If you’re looking for the perfect salad to make for the 4th of July this year, this is it! It’s perfectly cold, but at the same time doles out an awesome amount of heat, that will have your menfolk begging on their knees for second helpings.
Prepare to become the most popular person at the barbecue and expect to come home with an empty container.
I served this creamy potato salad with some EPIC grilled chicken for dinner the other day (recipe coming soon!) and my tastebuds literally exploded with flavor.
I just don’t do tame food on this website. 😉
It was kind of hilarious watching my little siblings eat this potato salad. They’re such light-weights when it comes to anything being even a LITTLE bit spicy. They were sitting there fanning their mouths and squealing that their mouths were on fire.
I, being the awesome big sister that I am, graciously picked out their jalapenos for them and put them on MY salad.
What can I say? I like things a little spicy. 😉
Texas Potato Salad
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-5 pickled jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 2 hard-boiled eggs diced
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon xylitol or sugar
- Salt to taste
- Place peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Dissolve salt over top. Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are just tender (do not overcook) Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Place potatoes in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Remove chilled potatoes from fridge and stir in jalapeno, onion, eggs, celery, and pickle relish. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, mustard, pepper, and xylitol (or sugar) until smooth. Pour over potato mixture and stir to coat. Season potato salad with salt to taste.
- Refrigerate potato salad at least 1 hour before serving.
Try this salad alongside one of these burgers!
Or a pasta salad!
And you should definitely serve these cupcakes for dessert. 😉