This classic potato salad is just the thing to bring to your 4th of July barbecue this year! Loaded with all the works and cooled down with a creamy dressing, this salad goes perfectly with any summer meal!
Sooo…it’s cool with you guys that all I’m sharing for the next few weeks are 4th of July-themed recipes, right?
Awesome-ness. I’m glad we’re in agreement. 😀
The 4th is one of my FAV holidays in the universe, and I always tend to go kinda cray-cray with the summery recipes this time of year.
Sorry-not-sorry for all my summer salad recipes lately. I’ve still got a few more a’ comin so I hope you guys really like your salad.
Nothing really says 4th of July better than a CLASSIC potato salad. Okay, maybe this chicken or this BBQ sauce, but you get the point. It’s not really the 4th without a good ‘ol nostalgic potato salad.
One that makes you kinda want to ignore your burger and binge-eat on JUST the potato salad.
Yeah, this potato salad fits right into that description. Awesome stuff here, guys.
This potato salad is similar to my Texas potato salad that I shared a few weeks back. It uses a lot of the same ingredients, but it’s not QUITE as zippy and kickin’ as that one is.
We’re goin’ classic today, and jalapenos have no place in a classic potato salad. If you’re a spice-lovin’ person I’d suggest you try that one first—It’ll put some hair on your chest. 😉
This potato salad is loaded/jam-PACKED with all the works: Buttery Yukon gold potatoes, crunchy celery, spicy radishes (mine were from my garden!) tangy pickle relish, aaaaaand….bacon.
Magic words right there. 🙂 Have you guys EVER tried putting bacon in your potato salad?! The idea hit me the other day when I was making this potato salad and I was like, “WHOA, hold the phone! BACON in potato salad?! This is so happening.”
The smoky, crispy bacon fits RIGHT in in this delish potato salad, which is then cooled down with a creamy mayo dressing.
Hard-boiled eggs are totally optional in this salad. I personally enjoy them and so does my family, but if you’re notta’ fan of eggs in your salad, just leave ’em out!
I have a plan. Why don’t you make this potato salad NOW and then enjoy it for lunch or a lighter dinner today? Then go eat some brownies for dessert.
I myself, don’t wait for a barbecue or cook-out just to make potato salad. 😉
Hellooooo, gorgeous. 😉
I’m giving up my beef ribs causa’ YOU!
Loaded Classic Potato Salad
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 3 celery ribs finely chopped
- 4-5 small radishes thinly sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs coarsely chopped (optional)
- 4 slices bacon cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon xylitol or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Minced fresh chives for garnish optional
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Dissolve salt on top. Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes (do not overcook potatoes) Place potatoes in a large bowl to cool.
- Once potatoes are cooled, toss with onion, pickle relish, celery, radishes, eggs (if using) and bacon until combined. Set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- Place mayonnaise, mustard, xylitol (or sugar) and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until dressing is smooth. Pour over potato-mixture and gently toss until potatoes are coated with dressing. Season with salt to taste and garnish with minced chives if desired.
- Refrigerate salad at least 1 hour before serving.
Try my other BBQ favs next!