These thick and fluffy pancakes are the ultimate fall breakfast! Ricotta cheese keeps the pancakes super-moist inside, while a quick 5-minute caramelized apple topping adds even more apple fun.
How long has it been since my last pancake recipe? My archives tell me it’s been all summer since I last shared a stack of pancakes with y’all.
Whaaa?! That is ca-razy.
Therefore, I apologize from the bottom of my pancake-lovin’ heart for putting pancakes on the back burner of my mind for so long.
Get it? Back BURNER?! Hahaha!
But imma make it up to you in a BIG way today. We are continuing with the fun of Apple Week with a tall and freakishly-huge stack of apple pie pancakes.
Yes, PIE for breakfast. It’s about to become the apple PIE of your eye.
Along with ricotta cheese which is the BEST thing you could ever put in a pancake. Seriously.
This was my second experience with ricotta pancakes and I’ll be honest—I don’t think regular pancakes even compare.
The TEXTURE ricotta cheese gives pancakes is outta-this-world awesome. 10x thicker, softer, and moister than regular pancakes.
These pancakes have all that awesome texture we just discussed, but they also have a pleasant apple-cinnamon flavor in every luscious bite. And the topping….
Oh gosh, you guys. One word: Caramelized apples.
For life, yo. My numero uno weakness. The granddaddy of all things soft, tender, and caramely.
Don’t even THINK about leaving the caramelized apple topping off these pancakes. It’s the best part, fo’ real and it takes what, 5 minutes to cook up? You need some in your life like yesterday. 🙂
Just because I’m insane, I like to
drizzle dump maple syrup OVER the caramely apples which are sitting on top of your uber-fluffy pancakes. So it’s basically like a 3-layer stack of pancake paradise.
So messy, but so worth it. 😀
Plus, it’s basically like eating pie for breakfast and I speak from experience that NOTHIN’ beats it.
Hey, it’s got fruit in it, so we’re all good right?!
This may or may not be a good thing, actually…It’s a good thing obv because it’s the best thing your tastebuds will ever meet, but it’s also a bad thing ’cause it makes you want to eat stack after gorgeous stack of these little puppies….
And stack after stack you will definitely end up eating…
Self control? What’s that? Non-existent with apple pie ricotta pancakes around.
We gotta have something warm and cozy to get us through these frosty cold mornings and these pancakes for SURE fit the bill.
You’ve gotta try these apple pancakes this fall. You are about to fall head-over-heels in love with a pancake.
It’s faceplant time, folks. Stack ’em up and dive in.
Apple Pie Ricotta Pancakes
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 large apple grated
- APPLE TOPPING:
- 2 large Gala apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup for serving
- Prepare the pancakes: In a large bowl, whisk egg, oil, ricotta, and buttermilk until smooth. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Gently fold dry mixture into liquid stirring until just combined. Fold in grated apple.
- Working in batches, drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot skillet. Cook on each side 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Keep pancakes warm.
- Prepare the apple topping: In a small skillet over medium-high heat, saute apples with butter, sugar, and cinnamon until apples are tender and caramelized.
- Serve pancakes warm with caramelized apples and maple syrup.
Check out the other fun of Apple Week!
Sticky Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake
Leave a Reply