Now you can enjoy brownies in the form of a healthy banana bread…for breakfast! This super-soft and moist quick-bread whips up in minutes and is a perfectly indulgent breakfast treat with your morning coffee.
Let’s get straight the point. Brownies in the form of a banana quick bread for breakfast.— It’s pretty much THE way to start the day.
Especially on a Friday. It’s almost the weekend ‘yo! Brownies for breakfast is the only way to go.
I recently came to the conclusion that calories don’t count on weekends. Who’s with me?!
So today’s banana bread is a spin-off of my classic version. No-frills, classic banana bread holds a special place in my heart, but I’ve made this recipe so much it was begging for a makeover.
In the direction of brownies.
Because brownies for breakfast? C’mon. We’ve all done it at one point or another in our lives.
To be honest with you, I did it just last week.
But the guilt that follows afterward? It’s pretty bad. So I got sneaky and put brownies in the form of “healthy” banana bread.
Best decision of the year right there.
This bread seriously does taste like you’re eating a big ‘ol fudgy brownie for breakfast. Only you’re technically NOT. You’re just tricking your tastebuds and eating banana bread disguised as brownies.
No one will ever be the wiser, trust me.
You should have seen my family’s faces when I set out this bread for breakfast the other morning. Rachel was the first to taste and she squealed “BROWNIES?! We’re having brownies for breakfast?!”
You can bet nobody questioned it. They all just stuffed their faces as fast as humanely possible.
This banana bread is SLIGHTLY different than the original recipe—it’s a tad bit more fudgy and moist inside, thanks to the addition of sour cream, cocoa powder AND buttermilk. But it’s still just as simple and easy to make.
‘Heck, I’m POSITIVE you have all these ingredients only an arm’s reach away.
This bread slices up beautifully, so feel free to wrap up a few slices to take to work, stash in the kids lunchboxes, hide on the top shelf for a midnight snack, ect.
That last option? I’ve totally done it and I’ll tell ‘ya: It works.
Tip Of The Day: If you want even more of a brownie experience with this banana bread, you totally have my ok to sneak some chocolate chips into the batter.
More chocolate = Always a good thing.
Two slices of this bread? It’s nonnegotiable. 😉
Happy weekend, friends!
Chocolate Banana Brownie Bread
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 9-in loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar and butter until smooth. Whisk in eggs, mashed banana, buttermilk, yogurt, and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine flour mixture with liquid, gently folding until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pans and smooth tops. Bake bread at 350F 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick tests done. Cool bread on a wire cooling rack completely before removing from pan.
You’ll love my other quick breads!