This Vegan Crockpot Quinoa and Black Bean Chili needs only 10 minutes prep then right into the crockpot! It results in a thick, filling and delicious chili.
Hey everyone, this is Jessica from Jessica in the Kitchen and I’m guest blogging on Sarah’s blog today! I blog about healthy foods (just like Sarah) that are absolutely delicious and nutritious for you.
As it’s Chili Week, I’ll be sharing my absolutely favourite chili recipe with you – this This Vegan Crockpot Quinoa and Black Bean Chili.
If you’re the kind of person who has never tried a chili without meat, this is definitely the kind to try. All the meat lovers in my household absolutely loved it, and kept asking for more. It takes about 10 minutes prep time, then it goes right into the crockpot. I only had to check on it maybe twice (without lifting the top) and it was perfectly fine after only a short 3 hours.
What resulted was a thick, filling and delicious chili that was definitely meaty due to the chunks of vegetables and beans and the quinoa thickening up.
The vegan sour cream on top was definitely one of my favourite parts because it contrasted so perfectly to the chili and was just like regular sour cream. You’re going to want to make the full batch because you’ll definitely be going back for seconds!
Vegan Crockpot Quinoa and Black Bean Chili
- 21 ⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ⁄2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 15 oz can black beans
- 1 ⁄2 container 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 ⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 ⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 ⁄2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ⁄2 small chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ⁄2 cup corn kernels
- chopped avocado chunks
- chopped green onions
- shredded carrot
- Vegan Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 ⁄2 cup soaked cashews cashews soaked in water overnight
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- splash apple cider vinegar
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Add the broth, quinoa, black beans and tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Next add the peppers, carrot, onion and garlic, and stir, then add the rest of the seasonings and stir a few times to combine.
- Set the slow cooker (Crock-Pot) to high for 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours (for high, monitor the last 30 minutes and for low, monitor the last hour).
- Vegan Cashew Sour Cream
- Blend all the ingredients for cashew sour cream in a high speed blender (I use a NutriBullet) until smooth, for about 30 seconds, scraping blender once halfway in between.
- Serve on chili with your favourite toppings (avocado, chopped green onions).