The absolute BEST classic sour cream coffee cake you’ll ever have! Studded with gooey chocolate inside and covered with plenty of glaze.
Can coffee cake truly be non-weekend kinda thing? Because I’m totally feeling it on this Tuesday.
Raise your hand if you agree. I’ll just pretend I saw all your virtual hands waving around in the air and now we’re free to move on with our best-dang-coffee-cake-ever business.
Just out of curiosity, guys: what’s your ultimate weekend breakfast? For me it’s a SUPER-close tie between sticky buns and coffee cake. I heart them both like this much. —> ???
And now that whole decision-making problem I always face every weekend is over because I’ve recently decided I can totally eat my coffee cake during the week and save the sticky buns for the weekend.
Problem solved, my post-spring break week is made complete, and I would strongly advise following my lead on this one, guys. ?
Let me tell you what makes this coffee cake so gosh-darn good. We’ll start with the sour cream—oh glory, it makes the cake interior so, so, SO moist and melt-in-your-mouth fluffy.
Pair the sour cream with tangy buttermilk and a little melted butter and we’ve just been guaranteed the softest coffee cake in the universe.
And obviously as you can see, those sneaky chocolate chips snuck their way into the batter. I’m clearly so upset about this. ???
Keeping things on the simple side today, guys. All we’re dressing this coffee cake up with is a little powdered sugar glaze on top because that’s really all that’s needed.
Simple is just best if we’re talking about the best coffee cake in the whole wide world.
Super-moist, covered to capacity in glaze, 100% Tuesday worthy. Need I give you any more reasons why you must make this coffee cake right this second? For reals, no waiting. Just do it.
Now seriously, can we just eat cake until Friday?
Glazed Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9-in bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and gently fold until a smooth batter forms. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake coffee cake at 350F 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out with moist (but not gooey) crumbs sticking to it. Cool cake in pan 20 minutes, then run a knife around edges and invert onto a serving plate.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar, vanilla, and just enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled coffee cake and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Slice coffee cake and enjoy!
You must try these other coffee cakes next!!
Cranberry Cheesecake Swirl Coffee Cake
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake Banana Bread
Pancakes are my ultimate weekend breakfast, but I’d pass them up for a piece of this coffee cake. 🙂
Pancakes are high on my list of weekend favs too!!
Melody @ Pleasant Kitchen says
look so delicious, i like all your recipes, thanks Sarah
Thank you Melody!!