Glazed Lemon Poppyseed Drop Scones
Speckled with gorgeous poppyseeds and packed with intense lemon flavor, these glazed lemon poppyseed drop scones are a SUPER easy breakfast indulgence and totally stunning!
Servings 8 scones
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup poppyseeds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
Preheat oven to 425F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly.
In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream, lemon juice, zest, egg, half-and-half, and vanilla until smooth. Pour over dry ingredients, add poppyseeds and gently stir until a dough forms.
Scoop dough by 1/4 cupfuls and place 2-in apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake scones at 425F 12-15 minutes until golden-brown. Cool on a wire cooling rack.